What's new
What's new

10EE ELSR mechanical switch function

Colt45

Hot Rolled
Anyone here intimately familiar with the mechanical function of the ELSR system?

In particular, the "camming" of the bottom microswitch inside the right end feedrod/leadscrew support casting- am observing a different acutation of the lower microswitch when the apron control lever is selected "up" compared to when the lever is moved "down" (regardless of the setting of the ELSR L/N/R switch on top of the casting).

Is the lower cam supposed to hold the lower microswitch closed when the apron lever is activated?

That doesn't sound right, one thing that should happen is, when the spindle start lever is in neutral, the center switch should be activated. I remember posts about getting the cam, or another part a tooth off.

Is it safe to say that the ELSR switch assembly at the extreme right end of the bed is the equivalent of the drum switch in a non-ELSR 10ee?
If so, when in neutral, a connection is made, part of the circuit that enables the 'Start' button to complete the circuit and close the contactor that powers up the MG.
This connection is only made in neutral, the MG will only start in neutral. This is a safety feature preventing powering up the lathe when it is set to start rotation of the spindle.

What Donnie wrote does add some complexity to sorting out an issue with the switch assembly.. A drum switch is brain-dead' simple it can't get out of timing..

I'll have to pull the cover off of my switch assembly and watch it work, and follow the circuitry.

DualValve

Back