What's new
What's new

10EE - figuring out what I actually bought!

bmazin

Aluminum
I just received 10EE SN 46590 in my shop. This is the one with the Mentor MP drive I posted about recently. I've cleaned the outside and opened it up to try and figure out what I really have... Pictures at full res are here:

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

If anyone has time to look over the pictures and let me know about any problems a noob might be missing I'd appreciate it. My current plan is to clean it up and replace the belts and wipers.

Some initial questions:
1) This lathe is equipped with the coolant pump and it is full of extremely nasty looking oil-based coolant. What is the best way to drain this coolant if the machine isn't under power?

2) A lot of what I think is the original electronics appear to be in place. How much of this do you think is active? It wouldn't turn on with the spindle cover removed so I'm guessing at least some of the microswitches are still in use.

3) IMG_0947 shows a couple transformers in the back compartment, including a big black one on the left side of the image. This machine was running 480V when I saw it, but the motor is listed as 240V - do you think this is a step down transformer? For conversion to 240V will it be as simple as bypassing the transformer?

4) IMG_0953 shows a bead of what feels like silicon around the bottom of the apron. I'm guessing this was a half-baked attend to avoid buying the correct gasket? How hard is this to replace?

Thanks,
Ben

Concur with thermite about the drive--pretty tough to tell what you have there.
There is usually a spindle interlock switch, one related to the back gear, and then one on front small electronics compartment door latch. Should still be able to start the drive and run the machine with the spindle cover off.

The Mentor drive does not require a 480v transformer, it will run perfectly off 240V 3 phase, as low as approx 200 volts. Not much of the original Monarch drive components are usable with it, maybe the disconnect and a few contactors. Should be able to re-use the panel, terminal blocks, fuse holders and some of the wire.

That install looks like a rat's nest with many potential problems, including electrical interference from the drive. If the machine was originally configured for 480V and you run at 240V, you may need to upgrade the wire sizes and disconnect switch to accommodate the higher ampacity required at the lower supply voltage.

Suggest you study the Mentor drive manuals/schematics and after you understand them well, ask questions here and do a fresh install of the drive. It will save you a lot of potential problems and headaches. IF you are not willing to that, at a minimum you need to trace the existing wiring and draw your own schematic, shouldn't be difficult but will take a lot of time.

I just received 10EE SN 46590 in my shop. This is the one with the Mentor MP drive I posted about recently. I've cleaned the outside and opened it up to try and figure out what I really have... Pictures at full res are here:

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

If anyone has time to look over the pictures and let me know about any problems a noob might be missing I'd appreciate it. My current plan is to clean it up and replace the belts and wipers.

Some initial questions:
1) This lathe is equipped with the coolant pump and it is full of extremely nasty looking oil-based coolant. What is the best way to drain this coolant if the machine isn't under power?

2) A lot of what I think is the original electronics appear to be in place. How much of this do you think is active? It wouldn't turn on with the spindle cover removed so I'm guessing at least some of the microswitches are still in use.

3) IMG_0947 shows a couple transformers in the back compartment, including a big black one on the left side of the image. This machine was running 480V when I saw it, but the motor is listed as 240V - do you think this is a step down transformer? For conversion to 240V will it be as simple as bypassing the transformer?

4) IMG_0953 shows a bead of what feels like silicon around the bottom of the apron. I'm guessing this was a half-baked attend to avoid buying the correct gasket? How hard is this to replace?

Thanks,
Ben
The motor is a DC motor NOT AC, the transformer I think can be rewired for 220 Volts AC. Bypassing the transformer will not work it need to be reconnected for 220 AC you will need a manual for that machine.

Looking over a slightly newer manual (the one for my machine is on order from Monarch) I think you guys are right - there is an awful lot of stuff in there just taking up space and making the wiring messy, like all the old filament transformers.

Does anyone have a schematic of their more modern implementation? I'm guessing the functionality would look something like:

Bring 3 phase 240 power directly to the main disconnect
Put a solid state relay (SSR) between the main disconnect and the Mentor drive
Put a SSR between the main disconnect and the coolant pump
Put a SSR between the main disconnect and the blower
Control the SSRs with either a programmable logic controller or microprocessor (probably an arduino) that monitors the sensors (microswitches, control switches, anything else?) and turns the relays on as appropriate.

Added advantage is if I use an ethernet arduino I can hook the serial port up to the Mentor drive and program it easily from my PC (the computer stuff is right in my wheel house).

That sound right?

Ok, that makes sense and is a lot easier than my half-cocked plan above. I can probably even preserve the microswitch lockouts/etc. using the GPIO on the Mentor if I read the manual enough times.

I spent some time today trying to figure what the previous owners were thinking... Still a bit confused but here is my best guess as to what is currently wired up in case anyone is interested.

Light blue outline: 480V input, new wires directly into the main power disconnect
Orange outline: Square D motor starters - a new one on the left one for the main DC motor (5 HP at 480V) and the coolant pump (right, looks original?)
Dark blue and yellow outlines: This was the biggest surprise to me. It looks like new relays were added (in yellow) that control the original spindle motor forward/reverse contactors.

Given the Mentor drive can easily handle running the forward/reverse direction control I can't understand why they did this.

wiring.jpg

Attachments

• InkedIMG_0944_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0944_LI.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 82

Back