What's new
What's new

10EE garage find:

Zap921

Cast Iron
Hey guys;

Would appreciate some advice on this find. No machinist background, looking to learn from someone local that has been in the trade and found this through a friend. Has sat in a garage for the past 4 years. He saw it running about 15 years ago and said it runs on 220 single phase. Just came across it recently and the guy wants it out of his garage. Probably a couple hundred bucks will get it but have to move it and not sure if is worth pursuing. Would like your guys opinion on the condition and what you see knowing the 10EE as well as you do. Looking for a lathe to learn on for a farm shop and cause I like to learn new things.

Hope the pics show up and ask away and I'll tell you what I know as of now.

Thanks..........20181001_172344.jpg20181001_171741.jpg20181001_172514.jpg20181001_172619.jpg20181001_172652.jpg

yes, that's what he is saying, but understand that it's like the gift that keeps on giving. in other words, its a fantastic, legendary piece of American machine tooling that will suck you in, and potentially take over your life, if you let it.
looks to be in decent shape, but use caution! :D

That lathe is a scary lathe...
It is what lots of guys dream of....
It might be possible to have a running lathe for the couple hundred bucks.... Which would be a wondrous thing.... If its DOA you could part it out for way more than you paid...
So it could be anything from a great deal to a okay deal if you have to part it out...

Either way hurry this kinda chance evaporates real quick!

FYI thats a decent name brand DRO scale. Another thing that might make this lathe a dream machine or a nightmare money pit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Stopping by again later this week to check into it further. Anything that I should really check out further for piece of mind purposes? No way to check it running in the garage it was left in.

the basics are bed wear and backlash. fingernail on the bed near the chuck,to determine the former, twirl the dials, to determine the latter.

prob. better to search ytube "backlash lathe" to get more info on that.

the other thing is the electrics, that is a black hole you should only consider diving into if the first two above are not too far gone.

I agree with thermite, value for a 1968 machine in $3k to $4k range. I doubt it has its original drive. By arse end he means under the head stock, not tail stock. You'll need a 3/16 allen wrench to get the top end cover off. The lower cover will then lift right off. Post photos of whatever is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again!! I fixed the earlier post where the pics didn't come through. I'll be back again later this week and get into the cabinet for some pics.

Thanks again!! I fixed the earlier post where the pics didn't come through. I'll be back again later this week and get into the cabinet for some pics.

Your not listening!!!

Go get your trailer and get it, post pictures when you have it home!
This is not one of those deals you hesitate on!

If I knew where the machine was, I would be in my truck now!

Kevin

Your not listening!!!

Go get your trailer and get it, post pictures when you have it home!
This is not one of those deals you hesitate on!

If I knew where the machine was, I would be in my truck now!

Kevin

I know it sounds to good to be true. I'm lining up a forklift and trailer for Saturday. Just like to know as much as I can about this machine.

I thought I did ok when I got mine for £500. That's a supreme quality machine for the price of a toolpost. I'd be there handing over cash right now even if I couldn't collect it until Saturday.

Studying your pictures a bit more I can see that your machine is missing the speed control knob, it should be at the center of the left most lever left of the thread pitch selector. Further evidence, if we needed any, that the drive is not original. Still an unbelievable deal and I suggest you get your ass moving and close the deal. They are top heavy, like any machine I spose, and this one sits on three points so doesn't take a lot to tip it over. Be careful, it will never be the same if you face plant it into the concrete.

If we all knew where this was, we'd be lined up, shoving money at the dude. He'd walk away with at least 3 grand, probably more.

Studying your pictures a bit more I can see that your machine is missing the speed control knob, it should be at the center of the left most lever left of the thread pitch selector. Further evidence, if we needed any, that the drive is not original. Still an unbelievable deal and I suggest you get your ass moving and close the deal. They are top heavy, like any machine I spose, and this one sits on three points so doesn't take a lot to tip it over. Be careful, it will never be the same if you face plant it into the concrete.

Thanks for spotting that. I found a picture I took of the back of the control panel mounted on the back of the machine and there it is an electronic control for spindle speed. Whew!

Back