Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10ee general info

Can someone point me to a website or resource that overviews the different types of motors and electronics from various years? Overview is the key word here. This forum is a fantastic resource, but kind of overwhelming for a newbie. I'm delving into the threads, but need to see the forest for the trees so to speak. Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post
    Can someone point me to a website or resource that overviews the different types of motors and electronics from various years? Overview is the key word here. This forum is a fantastic resource, but kind of overwhelming for a newbie. I'm delving into the threads, but need to see the forest for the trees so to speak. Thanks
    The Monarch Forum Moderator, Peter H. posted one of several such overviews. I have it in my 'subscriptions', but d****d if I can find it quickly.

PM IS the 'Oracle' on 10EE, but yes, a great deal of reading, not all of it relevant, would be required.

Faster if you contact Monarch Lathe LP by phone or email, convey your 10EE's S/N, buy the factory manual for it from them, electrical schematics included. Ask if they will be so kind as to also provide the ID of the original purchaser and the kit-out of options and tooling it shipped with.

Essential resource and cheap at what they charge for it.

THAT information, posted here, will enable those among us expert in your particular era of 10EE to point you to more specific sources among the threads, and/or directly work to help you solve problems.

Bill

3. Likes bellaireroad liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    The Monarch Forum Moderator, Peter H. posted one of several such overviews. I have it in my 'subscriptions', but d****d if I can find it quickly.

PM IS the 'Oracle' on 10EE, but yes, a great deal of reading, not all of it relevant, would be required.

Faster if you contact Monarch Lathe LP by phone or email, convey your 10EE's S/N, buy the factory manual for it from them, electrical schematics included. Ask if they will be so kind as to also provide the ID of the original purchaser and the kit-out of options and tooling it shipped with.

Essential resource and cheap at what they charge for it.

THAT information, posted here, will enable those among us expert in your particular era of 10EE to point you to more specific sources among the threads, and/or directly work to help you solve problems.

Bill
    Bill,thanks for replying to my question, I have not bought one yet. I am in the market for a used lathe, and a 10EE will be it. I want to read up first so as to be an educated buyer. Was Peter H. his user name? I can search the archives
    Roger

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill,thanks for replying to my question, I have not bought one yet. I am in the market for a used lathe, and a 10EE will be it. I want to read up first so as to be an educated buyer. Was Peter H. his user name? I can search the archives
    Roger
    peterh5322 - still Monarch forum Moderator.

Start with 'assessing' the 'stickies', then pick which ones best address your questions for first read.

Some of the most useful threads are now a dozen and more years old. Well worth digging back to 'Big Bang', crawling forward, and saving the links to a folder of your own for deeper research, later.

Horror stories about the various electricals requiring an EE degree are just that.

ALL, repeat ALL, 10EE are actually dirt-simple as far as electron-pushing goes.

One just has to be willing to learn and willing to do a bit of TEDIOUS work tracing wires. taking readings, matching the detective work to what SHOULD be, which is already very well covered.

Along with how to make it so again.

Far easier than fabbing 2 to 4 broken members of a 12, 18, or 24-speed gearbox, plus their hydraulic or servo actuated clutches.

Bill

6. Likes bellaireroad liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Start with 'assessing' the 'stickies', then pick which ones best address your questions for first read.

Some of the most useful threads are now a dozen and more years old. Well worth digging back to 'Big Bang', crawling forward, and saving the links to a folder of your own for deeper research, later.

Horror stories about the various electricals requiring an EE degree are just that.

ALL, repeat ALL, 10EE are actually dirt-simple as far as electron-pushing goes.

One just has to be willing to learn and willing to do a bit of TEDIOUS work tracing wires. taking readings, matching the detective work to what SHOULD be, which is already very well covered.

Along with how to make it so again.

Far easier than fabbing 2 to 4 broken members of a 12, 18, or 24-speed gearbox, plus their hydraulic or servo actuated clutches.

Bill
    Thank you Bill, time to get out the shovel and start digging, Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes still the moderator, for the time being.

Stickies in this Forum were specifically designed to place the most useful information at the head of this Forum.

Peter (Haas)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Suggestion as to 'shoveling':

Make use of the 'subscribe to this thread' tool, even if it is a long-dormant thread.

THEN ALSO, create 'folders' and migrate those subscriptions into them by category - 'stickies' included.

You will be storing only 'links' internal to the database, not duplicating stored info or photos.

In the fullness of time, you may have fifty to a hundred such threads ID'ed as 'of interest', some stored in SEVERAL subject-matter folders because their threads covered several subjects.

THEN - when you go to rebuild an apron, install new spindle bearings, strip and paint, rebuild or trouble-shoot the particular drive-system YOU have, each such collection will already have been pre-built and will have auto-updated with new posts in the meanwhile without further effort.

That will save you doing the same-damned-research five times over, then missing half of what is already known anyway.

DAMHIKT but if I had but STARTED that way, I could have also made at least slightly less of an idiot or fool of myself, posting.

"Slightly", as I haven't quite quit that, even yet.... But there you are.

Old age and human nature to sometimes stir a pot out of impatience to see if anything fresh and worth eating floats up into view. Or not.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where in Texas are you? There are a few folks in Texas who could show you the lathe and maybe give you some pointers, but you're not giving them much room to jump in. I've over the border a ways in Nuevo Mexico or I'd offer you a hand myself.