What's new
What's new

A 10EE Has Arrived

evanthayer

Aluminum
Hello All,

Picked up a 10EE from Sep 1956, serial no. #41731. I didn't know much about it when I purchased it somewhat sight-unseen. I just got it into the shop and am starting to go through it to find out what I've got and what my plans will be. The unit has been sitting in a machine shop but has not been under power for 30+ years! Unit was built and is labeled as a 480V unit; not sure what has been done to it since. It is a WIAD unit and it appears to be complete except for the B&S coolant pump which is missing as I believe is customary.

First question is power supply. I can easily install a step-up transformer to make 480V off of my 120/208 3PH service. I can also dig in and rewire it to take 240 single phase if that is possible and recommended, especially since the coolant pump is missing which I understand is the only component that uses L1, L2, and L3. I know there are many threads on this bbs that will walk me through that.

Any over all thoughts on the machine and my plans are appreciated!

Evan

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

02.jpg

hey Steve I was monkeying with them because some were upside down :). let me know if it still isn't working.

hey Steve - the machine is equipped with the dovetail on the back of the cross-slide as you point out. I didn't realize that was notable until you pointed it out. A little googling around and I understand that this option came with a back mounted square tool post? I don't have any post or tooling but I do apparently have the dovetail! Always nice to have some unobtanium even if it is unusable.

Monarch will email you instructions for converting a 460-volt machine to 230-volts. They also can provide the heater element and have some used transformers for the conversion, which is simple enough.

The oil streak on the left side of your machine means that the oil seal above it is leaking. The gearbox has two separate oil compartments, and the sight glass only shows the level in the right compartment, so that seal is important. The oil in the left compartment lubricates the gear train including the feed drive and the threading drive from the gearbox. When you add oil to the gearbox, it first goes into the left compartment, and the level is quite a bit above that seal. Then as you add more oil, it flows over a weir into the right compartment. Normally the oil level in the left compartment is higher than in the right.

thanks for the tip - i'm imagining that it will need a complete flush and new seals at all site glasses. i think it's been sitting for 30 years! luckily every problem i could conceivably had has already been solved by someone on this forum in the last 20 years...

Thanks for the advice. I live in fear of hurting old gear boxes after a multi-year battle with my first lathe when i was only slightly less naive, a 1952 SB 9A.

I like the sound of watch crystals for the glass. Please tell me more...

Maybe it was parked long ago because they could not get it running? If it was mine I would try that first instead of worrying about sight glasses.

Thanks everyone for the advice! The monarch is next on the list after I finish the bridgeport mill mechanical restoration which is almost done.

I've secured a set of all of the WIAD tubes and a pair of the drop-in replacements for the big-boys from scissio. The inside of the machine is covered in oil and muck so it will need a good scrub before I am willing to get inside there and go over everything. I am considering removing the WIAD and drawer to get it up on the bench to do a proper job but I don't want to get ahead of myself!

Back