What's new
What's new

10EE increased RPM

Fourierseries

Aluminum
I don’t know why my thread closed but I will try to get all relevant information here. The AC drive is a 300 min 1750 max RPM but it is only 1 HP. It is a General Electric polydyne variable AC drive. No digital readout of any info. The pulleys are stock from original machine and the original gearbox is attached. The top RPM on the tach is 2500. Not sure what other information is needed but please let me know what I can do to increase the rpm

For those who didn’t see first thread this post is a continuation of that one. So I also have another round dial machine that I haven’t gotten into. Everything below the bed looks original. All electrical looks to be what came from the factory. I need to find out if it’s wired 240 or 480 and go from there. I have a 7.5 HP 240V VFD that I can try to power it up with but I am unsure if it’s wired 240. I actually tried hooking it up and got nothing when I pushed the green button. The first machine is mounted on a angle iron frame so it is missing everything below bed level. I would like to install the first one onto the stand and have all original electrical components but first want to make sure they are not dead. In the meantime, I would like to make parts with the first lathe. At top speed, just a guess it is running in the 500-750 range. But with only 1 HP what options do I have? Forgive my ignorance but how do I tell how many pole motor I have?

Forgive my ignorance but how do I tell how many pole motor I have ?

You can tell by counting how many brushes it has.

There may be a schematic on the motor tag showing wiring for each voltage. You will then check the wiring by the numbered wires at the motor to verify how its wired.
The rest of what your asking you will need the more experienced members. Sounds like a serious project

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a schematic showing wiring options. There are 9 poles on it. Numbers 1-9 for 240 123 connected and 4-7 , 5-8, 6-9 connected. Does this mean I have a 9 pole motor?

There is a schematic showing wiring options. There are 9 poles on it. Numbers 1-9 for 240 123 connected and 4-7 , 5-8, 6-9 connected. Does this mean I have a 9 pole motor?
Nope you have a AC motor you can tell by the rated RPM you say it is 1750 that is a 4 pole motor if it was 2 pole it would be in the 3600 RPM range if it was a 6 pole motor (rare) it would be in the 900 RPM range that is at 60 HZ. You have what is called a nine wire motor which means it can be wired for 2 voltages. On a DC motor you can tell by the number of brushes.

You have 3 ways to increase RPM one is to get a better AC drive that can be set to a higher HZ and has a readout, 2 get a 2 pole motor, 3 change the ratio of the pulleys.
With only one horse motor your machining will be limited to lite cuts.

I agree that it’s a parts donor. Especially since on the “whole” one I have isn’t whole. The gearbox was taken apart and I have exchanged the tach from this one to the butchered one on stand. So everything is good above bed on one with no base and everything is whole on other one below bed. So together I have one good machine. This of course depends on that everything in the base can be put to working order. The only thing that is missing on both machines is the speed control shaft that is part of the back gear open gear knob. On the butchered machine the simply retained the knob by direct connection to gearbox on motor. On other machine, the rod and sprocket are missing and the chain is just dangling there on rheostat. I can order new from factory for 187.00 for shaft and 86.00 for sprocket. I think I still have the knob that goes on shaft. I will start new thread for the “whole machine” but I would like to know what I can do with butchered machine while I figure out if the guts on whole one are any good. I suppose if they aren’t I can still get a better drive and put everything in the base I do have.

I don’t know why my thread closed but I will try to get all relevant information here. ...
I closed the thread because it had gotten too far into the weeds. It had nothing to do with anything you did. If you or anyone else have any questions or concerns about that, please feel free to contact me via personal message or e-mail.

... The AC drive is a 300 min 1750 max RPM but it is only 1 HP. It is a General Electric polydyne variable AC drive. No digital readout of any info. The pulleys are stock from original machine and the original gearbox is attached. The top RPM on the tach is 2500. Not sure what other information is needed but please let me know what I can do to increase the rpm
The original DC motor on that machine was probably a 3HP DC motor with a top speed of 2400 RPM. With a 1750 RPM motor about the best you can expect to do with the original drive pulleys is about 1800 RPM. A 1 HP motor may or may not be sufficient for your needs, it depends on what you want to do with it.

For those who didn’t see first thread this post is a continuation of that one.
Here's a link the the previous thread:
So I also have another round dial machine that I haven’t gotten into. Everything below the bed looks original. All electrical looks to be what came from the factory. I need to find out if it’s wired 240 or 480 and go from there. I have a 7.5 HP 240V VFD that I can try to power it up with but I am unsure if it’s wired 240. I actually tried hooking it up and got nothing when I pushed the green button. ...
Here's a link to a thread that will help you figure out how
Cal
---

the three pics of control box and MG unit are from other lathe sorry should not be here. mistake in uploading pics

Well I do have 2 but one has a crack in it. Can be fixed. But not pristine obviously. I have lots of parts that are extra to my needs.

I emailed you. I am sure there will be more parts I will need but for now you have a list.i am going to close down this thread because it is pretty much run its course but the other is much more important to me and really would like some help with figuring out what to do with my other machine.

Back