What's new
What's new

10EE Forward Spindle Clutch Gear Needed

Hobby Racer

Aluminum
I'm deep into rebuilding my 1942 Monarch 10EE round dial and have found some damage to the forward spindle clutch gear listed as "R.H. Spindle Clutch Gear" in the monarch parts list. A previous owner must have crashed it or something. Someone has been in here previously as noted by the blue dynkem seen on the gears in the effected areas. They probably filed out any lumpy spots trying to get it to mesh as smooth as they could.

Anyway, I have to pull the spindle for another issue I outlined in a different thread so I figured I should ask if anyone has a gear or set of gears available for sale.

attachment.php

Here is another shot from a different angle and one of the mating gear which has some minor damage as well.

IMG_20220317_115714920.jpg IMG_20220316_112631479.jpg

It has obviously been run like this for who knows how long. If I can't find a gear set in a reasonable amount of time I may have to run it this way for a while. It does not catch when spun but I am worried that running under load could cause the tooth to brake off more and or damage even more gears in the headstock.

What would you do in this situation?

Does anyone know if Monarch made any significant changes to the headstock gears over the years in the 10EE? If not, it will open up the possible donors I can use.

Does anyone know if Monarch made any significant changes to the headstock gears over the years in the 10EE? If not, it will open up the possible donors I can use.
Based on the part numbers, the forward and reverse gears on the spindle and the dog clutch were changed at the time of the initial motor/generator design, late 1941. The rest of the gears probably date to the Sundstrand drive era. Gears from any motor/generator or later machine should work.

Cal

Based on the part numbers, the forward and reverse gears on the spindle and the dog clutch were changed at the time of the initial motor/generator design, late 1941. The rest of the gears probably date to the Sundstrand drive era. Gears from any motor/generator or later machine should work.

Cal

Great news Cal. That really opens up my donor pool!

Well I spoke too soon. Seems the gears from JPD are not compatible. The engagement dog is half the size it needs to be. Mine is on the right. I think the one on the left might be from a Sundstrand machine.

attachment.php

I think what you have is just fine. The dog has been machined down to get rid of wear caused by moron operators engaging the clutch with the spindle turning. Note that both dogs have damage on the leading edge. I wouldn't hesitate to use that gear, as is.

As an interesting side note, very early Sundstrand machines had a large lever in place of the feed-thread direction knob, inviting operators to engage the threading clutch with the spindle turning. That quickly disappeared, undoubtedly because it was causing too much damage.

I stand by my analysis that what you got from JPD is an inline-exciter era bushing and gear. But it would be interesting to see photos of the gear/dog/bushing from a Sundstrand machine.

Cal

I think what you have is just fine. The dog has been machined down to get rid of wear caused by moron operators engaging the clutch with the spindle turning. Note that both dogs have damage on the leading edge. I wouldn't hesitate to use that gear, as is.

As an interesting side note, very early Sundstrand machines had a large lever in place of the feed-thread direction knob, inviting operators to engage the threading clutch with the spindle turning. That quickly disappeared, undoubtedly because it was causing too much damage.

I stand by my analysis that what you got from JPD is an inline-exciter era bushing and gear. But it would be interesting to see photos of the gear/dog/bushing from a Sundstrand machine.

Cal

My Sundstrand machine has the aforementioned feed thread direction knob. Sometimes you need to rotate to get it to engage in the direction you want.

I’d like to find out if I could put the micro carriage stop(I think thats what it is called) on it.

Cal

If you can wait until Wednesday when I am home from a trip, I can probably dig out the original sundstrand sliding clutch (with aforementioned chowdered up drive dogs.) and pop the lid off the headstock for a shot of the gears.

Back