What's new
What's new

10EE MG 440 to 220 Conversion Checklist

Cal Haines

Diamond
A member contacted me by PM asking for a list of things to do when converting a motor generator (MG) drive 10EE from 440 to 220. Since this question comes up from time to time, I decided to put the checklist here on the forum, where future users can find it.

• Verify that the machine can be converted to 220. A few 10EEs were built with single voltage motors and a few were built with 2-phase motors. (2-phase power was used in the Niagara Falls area in the early to mid 1900s.) Check the data plate on the left (headstock end) of the MG. Remove the cover on the front (operator’s side) of the lathe, at the operator’s feet and look on the body of the unit behind and to the side of the terminal box. If the plate lists both 220 and 440 Volts the motor can be converted to 220.
Typical MG from a later model round-dial 10EE with piggyback exciter:
IMG_9670.jpg
The location of the MG’s data plate is outlined in red.

Data plate:
IMG_9939.jpg
The area of the plate showing the possible operating voltages is marked in red. Note also the direction of rotation arrow and the diagrams showing connections for 220 and 440 Volt operation.

Typical square-dial MG with data plate outlined in red:
IMG_9941.jpg

Data plate with voltage data outlined in red:
IMG_3399.jpg

• See what voltage the motor is currently wired for. DaveE wrote a very clear explanation of how to check the current wiring:
... you want to look into the MG terminal box. Remove the front panel at the operator's feet, behind it you'll find the MG terminal box. Remove its cover and you'll find a vertical terminal strip on the left side of the box. The bottom four terminals are labeled ... T1 to T4.

If the machine was running it's not necessary to check each wire number from the motor to determine if it's connected for high or low voltage. It's a common dual voltage three phase motor with nine leads brought out.

If it's connected for low voltage there will be two leads from the motor connected to each of the terminals T1-T3 on the right side of the terminal strip. … Three of the nine motor leads will be connected together * …

If it's connected for high voltage there will be a single motor wire connected to each of T1 to T3. T4 will be empty. There will be six motor wires not connected to the terminal strip and independently insulated. They're connected in three independent pairs but don't worry about it.

So, by a glance you know what voltage it's wired for. Two motor wires per T1-T3: low voltage. One motor wire per T1-T3: high voltage.
* T4 is sometimes used on 220 Volt machine as a place tie the three leads together, but they are usually connected together and insulated.
If you look closely at the MG photos above you will see that the round-dial MG it is wired for 220/240 volt operation and the square-dial MG is wired for 440/480 operation.

• If necessary, change the connections. All 9 wires should have tags identifying the wire’s number. If there is a plate on the motor showing the connections for 220 Volts, use it as a guide for connections. If there is no plate, connect as follows: Wires 1 & 7 to terminal T1; wires 2 & 8 to T2; wires 3 & 9 to T3. The remaining three wires, 4, 5 and 6, are connected together, either by connecting them to terminal T4 or by fastening them together with a wire nut or small fastener and insulating with electrical tape.
  • Verify that the main contactor has a 220 Volt coil. The main contactor is located behind a cast cover on the back of the machine, behind the quick change gearbox. The original Cutler-Hammer (C-H) bulletin 9586 contactor usually has the voltage marked on top of the coil (see photo). You can get a replacement coil from Brazil Motors & Controls [Portland, OR (503) 227-4973].
EE Cutler-Hammer contactor - annotated.jpg
If you look carefully you can see that this contactor has a 440 Volt coil.

• Verify that the overload heaters are the correct size. The original contactor used overload devices on two of the three incoming phases. The heater sets the current at which the overload device will trip. The heater number should be on a copper tag attached to each heater coil. Heater numbers H1374 and H1375 are OK for 220/240V operation. When wired for 440 operation, the MG draws about half the current that it does at 220/240, so the overload may trip unnecessarily under heavy loads if the heaters are not changed. (Using 440 heaters on a 220 machine won’t damage anything, but you may have to deal with them tripping, depending on how heavily you use the machine.) Brazil can also supply replacement overload heaters.
  • If operating from a Rotary Phase Converter (RPC), change the C-H contactor’s coil so that it operates from L1 and L2. (Typical factory wiring used L1 and L3.) Connect the RPC’s “real” legs to L1 and L2, where they will be protected by the overload circuit; the “wild” leg should be on L3 since it usually provides less current. For more information, see this thread: 10EE MG Starter Circuit with Cutler-Hammer Contactor
If you look closely at the photo of the contactor, above, you can see a grey wire running across the top of the contactor, below the word "Coil". The wire connects terminals 3 and L3 on the contactor, thus it is NOT properly setup for use with an RPC; the wire needs to move from L3 to L2.

• Verify that the fuses in the external disconnect box, if any, are the correct size. Most 10EEs will have an electrical disconnect box mounted on the back of the machine, near the floor. These usually have a 3-phase knife switch and fuses for the 3 phases. 30A fuses are OK for 220/240 Volt operation.
  • When you start the MG the first time, shut it down immediately and note which direction it’s turning. There is usually an arrow on the case of the MG that shows the direction of rotation; make sure that it’s turning in that direction or you will damage the brushes. (As far as I know, all MG sets turn clockwise, when viewed from the tailstock end.) If the MG is turning in the wrong direction, swap L1 and L2.
  • Check the output voltage of the exciter across terminals E1 and E2. It should be 115 Volts DC on most machines (some older machines used 230 VDC excitation). If the output of the exciter is very low the exciter may need to be “flashed”. If its too low or too high the exciter’s shunt resistor may need to be adjusted. These topics are covered elsewhere.
Cal

Last edited:
10EE pilot light transformer

I forgot about the transformer for the pilot light, which also needs to be replaced. See this post: '43 EE Will only turn 1250 - post #38

37386d1313702016-43-ee-will-only-turn-1250-piloot-light.jpg

Search eBay for "transformer 220V 6V". Seller ktorino802 currently has them for $5 including shipping. (I don't know if he's the same guy Denis bought from, but it seems to be the same transformer.)

Cal

C-H Overload Relay Heater Selection Table

Could someone please post the Overload Relay Heater Selection Table for the standard 10EE AC contactor (Cutler-Hammer [C-H] bulletin 9586, size 1) or PM me?

Also the tables that list the part numbers for the contactor coils and any other parts would be helpful.

Thanks!

Cal

image.jpg

I am in the process of trying to convert my machine from 440 to 220 volt 3phase. I pulled the cover off the wiring enclosure located at the a/c motor which is piggy backed by the exciter, this is what I found. T1,T2, and T3 are clearly labeled, however the remaining motor leads are labeled a1,a2,f1,f2,s1 and s2. While I know this screams DC motor not a/c I can definitely see that there are in fact 9 leads which pass directly into the motor. Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone help me figure out what needs to be done here to wire this correctly for low voltage 3phase? I have completed everything else on the checklist, this has been my only snag. This is a 1953 model MG drive unit that looks to be all original. Thanks for your help guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 549
View attachment 96036

I am in the process of trying to convert my machine from 440 to 220 volt 3phase. I pulled the cover off the wiring enclosure located at the a/c motor which is piggy backed by the exciter, this is what I found. T1,T2, and T3 are clearly labeled, however the remaining motor leads are labeled a1,a2,f1,f2,s1 and s2. While I know this screams DC motor not a/c I can definitely see that there are in fact 9 leads which pass directly into the motor. Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone help me figure out what needs to be done here to wire this correctly for low voltage 3phase? I have completed everything else on the checklist, this has been my only snag. This is a 1953 model MG drive unit that looks to be all original. Thanks for your help guys!
You're fine. Only the bottom four terminals (including T4) are AC; the upper terminals are the DC connections to the DC exciter and DC generator. For example, “GS1” is the generator’s series field. The terminal strips on round-dial machines, like the first one pictured, are arranged differently from those on square-dial machines like yours. Two of the terminals were eliminate on square-dials by placing the leads on the same terminal, rather that jumpering two terminals together.

It looks like all of the original metal tags are gone from your AC and generator wires, so the MG was probably rewound at some point.

The left half of the brass plate you photographed shows you how to connect the windings for low-voltage (220VAC) operation. Connect them as follows: Wires 1 & 7 to terminal T1; wires 2 & 8 to T2; wires 3 & 9 to T3. The remaining three wires, 4, 5 and 6, are connected together, either by connecting them to terminal T4 (the unused terminal at the bottom) or by fastening them together with a wire nut or small fastener and insulating with electrical tape.

If the other three pairs of wires from the AC motor aren’t labeled, we’ll have to do some checks with a meter to figure out which ones are 7, 8 and 9.

Holler if you have more questions.

Cal

You're fine. Only the bottom four terminals (including T4) are AC; the upper terminals are the DC connections to the DC exciter and DC generator. For example, “GS1” is the generator’s series field. The terminal strips on round-dial machines, like the first one pictured, are arranged differently from those on square-dial machines like yours. Two of the terminals were eliminate on square-dials by placing the leads on the same terminal, rather that jumpering two terminals together.

It looks like all of the original metal tags are gone from your AC and generator wires, so the MG was probably rewound at some point.

The left half of the brass plate you photographed shows you how to connect the windings for low-voltage (220VAC) operation. Connect them as follows: Wires 1 & 7 to terminal T1; wires 2 & 8 to T2; wires 3 & 9 to T3. The remaining three wires, 4, 5 and 6, are connected together, either by connecting them to terminal T4 (the unused terminal at the bottom) or by fastening them together with a wire nut or small fastener and insulating with electrical tape.

If the other three pairs of wires from the AC motor aren’t labeled, we’ll have to do some checks with a meter to figure out which ones are 7, 8 and 9.

Holler if you have more questions.

Cal

Hi Cal,

Thanks for the response, I know my picture quality isn't great, but there are 9 wires that come directly out of the top of the AC Drive motor. There are no metal tags to identify the motor leads and their corresponding numbers. T1,T2, and T3 are 3 of those 9 wires. I cannot find 3 pairs of motor wires tied together and insulated which would be the remaining six motor leads in the high voltage wiring diagram, however there is a total of 9 wires exiting the case of the ac drive motor, and apparently they are hooked up to the DC portion of the terminal block. Is it possible that this motor was rewound to only accept 440 and the remaining 6 motor leads were re-purposed? I am a decent hand with wiring but I loose my gusto when it comes to the internal workings of a motor, my understandings with motors are just basic, hence my learning curve here. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Ryan

P.S. This particular Machine came out of the Kent Washington Division of Boeing, I would assume its received at least above average maintenance and not had any "band-aid" repairs so to speak. I'm just trying to make sense of this.

... There are no metal tags to identify the motor leads ... I cannot find 3 pairs of motor wires tied together and insulated which would be the remaining six motor leads in the high voltage wiring diagram, however there is a total of 9 wires exiting the case of the ac drive motor, and apparently they are hooked up to the DC portion of the terminal block. Is it possible that this motor was rewound to only accept 440 and the remaining 6 motor leads were re-purposed? ...
Hi Ryan,

There are normally 9 leads for the 3-phase AC motor, 6 leads for the DC generator, and may also be two more leads for the exciter shunt resistor (which is sometimes located in the generator's end-bell). All 15 plus leads come out the same hole in the MG case. I'm sure that what's going on is that the motor was rewound and they didn't bother to bring out the other 6 motor leads. It's possible for a home shop guy to go into the motor windings and bring out the other leads. You can see what's involved by reading the first 3 posts of this thread:
You could also press out the AC stator winding, as Flail did, and take it to a motor shop for them to attach the pigtails to the windings. That should save you a fair amount of labor cost vs. having the shop do the whole job.

Other alternatives are to use a transformer to step up your 240 to 480. It would be best to step the single phase 240 up to 480, then use either a 480 rotary phase converter (RPC) or just run the machine directly using a static phase converter. (The typical static converter is the motor-starter and run caps from a RPC, sans idler motor). The problem with using a 3-phase transformer after a 240 RPC is that the current inrush for the transformer is very large and will usually stall a 7.5HP RPC and trip the breaker.

There have been discussions of building a 480 RPC that runs directly from 240 single-phase, using the idler motor's winding as auto-transformers. In theory it should work, but the only guy that I know of who tried it didn't have any luck.

But we'll get the old girl running one way or the other...

Cal

Cal,

That sounds like a very legitimate theory, I will pull the entire MG unit out in the morning and have a better look at it on the bench. I have a friend that owns a motor service shop, I may be in luck there. At any rate, I'm quite interested in getting inside it to have a look around.

As far as the Transformer and RPC are concerned, I am familiar with both but had no idea it's rough on the transformer to run it after the Rotary Phase Converter. That is a very useful tidbit of info. I like Rotary over Static personally unless there is a particular need for the added functionality of a VFD. Anyhow, thanks greatly for all your help and insight. I will let you know what I turn up, and I look forward to learning a lot from you, from both your previous posts and future ones!

It's not a problem with the transformer. It just that a transformer large enough to power a 10EE has some pretty big windings. The initial current draw when you first apply power to the transformer from the RPC is substantial. You would need an oversized RPC and a very heavy circuit to handle the current, but it will definitely work.

The static converters I'm talking about aren't the same as VFDs, they're essentially just a starting relay and a few capacitors, basically the same things that are in the box attached to an RPC's idler motor. You can add an idler motor to the "static" converter and you have an RPC. PhasePerfect static converters are another story. They use inverter technology to create true 3-phase from single phase, but they're expensive and as far as I know they don't have a 440 model.

Cal

Back