Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whoops I realized I wrote down 258 vac and not 358.

Currently I'm coming off the wall at 246, the combination of the (4) aforementioned transformers would get me to a nominal 358vac.

Maybe I should proofread a bit more

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Progress.

You have the "lack of knowledge" part well in-hand. "Mastered", even! But you don't get extra points for buying extra transformers to stuff into the belly of the lathe as ballast.

Let's see what we can do to start learning about transformers next.

You want 250 to 280 VDC out.

The SCR-class DC Drive will hand you roughly 70 to 80 Volt lesser DC out than AC in at the range you want to have available.

The goal is 320 to 360 VAC out off nominal 240 VAC in.

You do not want ANY "bucking" in the mix. No need of it. it just raises the count of transformers and terminations. Space is wasted. Money is wasted. MTBF goes down. It is like greasing the tires of your motorcar so you can put your foot to the floor, make a great deal of noise, and not really go anywhere.

Just select more appropriate transformers.

Goal is one, two is OK, Consider three as max, but avoid it for but two if possible.

And it is "possible". Eminently so. And by more than one possible combination.

The combination you seek just doesn't happen to be on the list you just opened with.

Try harder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Elion EFR-X-1220B Single Phase Rfi Filter 22a 220-240v-ac

Is this what you mean by a Ripple filter/Choke?

When I search the interwebs for that exact component name I'm not coming up with much luck, but the RFI Filters seem to be very plentiful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrain2015 View Post
    Elion EFR-X-1220B Single Phase Rfi Filter 22a 220-240v-ac

Is this what you mean by a Ripple filter/Choke?

When I search the interwebs for that exact component name I'm not coming up with much luck, but the RFI Filters seem to be very plentiful.
    No, but neither is it useless.

The heavy ripple-filter choke rule of thumb for DC motors is Amps to suit the load. milliHenry not microHenry close to the Amps rating.

Sold BY the drive makers as "Eastern Transformer" products (Chinese made?) and called "ripple fiters" by the DC Drive makers (UK listings anyway).

Sold by most others as "DC choke." Hammond and Rex previously mentioned in thread.

EMI/RFI filters are a whole 'nuther animal, smaller, lighter, lower insertion loss, used to clean-up higher frequency/fast-rise transients as might get past the isolation transformers, AC line input side. 'Corcom" was a progenitor.

KB-Penta house-branded some I have here up to 20 Amp but they "pass' more so are smaller and lighter than a 20 MilliHenry @ 20 Amp Hammond.