What's new
What's new

10EE Oil Pump Operation and Flow????

Will McRay

Aluminum
I have a 10EE 1947 MG Lathe. I pulled the gear head cover off and saw two oil lines that feed the top gear which I believe are the threading gears. Whether in the feeds or threads position, i don't get any flow to the gears. I beleive there is also an oil feed system for the cross slide. How does this work? I can't seem to find anything on this forum with what I chose to search with.

Can someone explain to me where the oil pump is, how it works and what it sends oil lubrication to please?

Thanks for all this groups help in advance!

Will

Look for some posts on carriage rebuilding. I think that's where I saw some info about it.
Apparently it is common for these to fail from clogged oil tubes, pump failure or pump cam failure.
If memory serves me the pump is located at the bottom of the carriage
Perhaps drain the oil from that location and make sure it is the proper weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thank you everyone for the replies. I am still baffled on the two copper lines in the head stock then that feed the feed gears. I am going to sit down and do a buch more reading and try to find a suitable replacement for the belts as well.

Thanks again.

W

Great information on the belts. I will pull the cover off again and get a picture of the two lines in the head stock.

50 to 2500 rpm. Nothing special that I can see. The piping seems to be all factory installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakort is right on- the factory headstock lubrication is oil slingers and splash-might take a few minutes of running the spindle to get the system primed and oil coming out. Could also be that you have some clogged oil lines. The pump in the apron feeds the carriage and cross slide. .
Piping and bracket looks like factory square dial oil system fittings to me.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures. This is a 1947 square dial 10EE model with MG.
...View attachment 258436
I think what's going on is that the little L-shaped piece on the left side of your photo (above) is part of a reservoir that collects oil splashed up by the gears and directs it to the three tubes that run away from it. You can verify that by using a wire to probe the end of the tube that goes to the rear bearing. If you fill the L-shaped reservoir, you should see it drain down. It looks like the end of the tube over the shifter is open, so I would expect to see oil drip out there.

FWIW, my '43 round-dial has a 4000 RPM spindle and not provision to lubricate the sleeve bearings.

Cal

In the second photo, the tubes are coming from a tray shaped casting that has a sharp edge against the tach drive gear, seen at left-photo2.
Oil climbs up the side of the drive gear and is scraped off by the sharp edge of the tray, then flows down the tubes.
So, there is some control on how much oil by how far the gears side is from the sharp edge on the tray, or, if the gap between the tach drive gear and the edge of the tray is too much, it will not get oil.

I certainly have some plying to do and see if I can get some flow from these lines. Would be nice to understand just how this works.

Thanks all!

Well I think you got your answer........sling, fling, splash, climb, etc the oil should get up there and drain down the lines. Likely old gravity drain lines may need some attention to continue draining especially if the ends have been pinched off to regulate flow between the available drain paths.

I certainly have some plying to do and see if I can get some flow from these lines. Would be nice to understand just how this works.

Thanks all!

Back