What's new
What's new

10EE Quick Slow Down Relay Extreme arcing

metal4130

Aluminum
Hello,

I got my new to me 10EE under power and had some time to run it a bit. I am having a problem with the quick slow down relay arcing very badly whenever I slow the spindle down in small increments. The QSD relay contact will open and close very rapidly and arc badly making very loud noises. I see there are some adjustment that can be made with spring tension and the threaded contact distance and after experimenting with them the problem still remains. The dynamic braking works well on my machine and I don't have any issue when I make a large speed change it is only when I slow it down just a little.

One other thing I noticed was that when I am running in forward at say 1000 RPM and I switch it to reverse it will slow down just fine then it will reverse and begin to speed up but for a split second on speed up the QSD will activate and arc rapidly a time or two then go back to normal operation.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have any guidance on where to go next? This is my first EE and maybe this is normal and I just don't realize it?

Thank you!

There are two 8 ohm resistors in series with the contacts previous owner may have jumped across them (they serve to limit the current through the contact).

Back