What's new
What's new

10EE Rack Removal

PLC

Aluminum
I am going to remove the carriage rack on my 10EE to prepare for the final cleanup to apply primer. I was wondering, are the pins that align the rack dowel pins or are they tapered? It is a little hard for me to tell by looking. Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to how to remove the rack? Is it best work from the back side? Space is pretty limited between the ways.

From my experience on a 42 round dial, they are tapered and need to be driven out from the backside.
Best way I found was to get a pin punch from harbor freight, and shorten it as much as possible. Then I got an old socket and extension, placed over the pin punch, and hit it from the backside.

7b99409abc6a9dca26816356d56768eb.jpg

This picture was an earlier attempt. The pin punch needs to be even shorter then the one pictured or it will bend and break. Also, it would be helpful to use a longer extension and be very careful to not damage the ways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

803ab81f8bb187b14dab9a8d467ca926.jpg

I found a picture of the pin punch that ended up working.
I have heard people say they come out with no problem, but mine were in there very tight even after repeated soaking in PB Blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I just used the same method and everything came apart without drama. Cardboard and everything. I took your advice and used a 2’ extension. I didn’t want to get anywhere close to the ways!

Back