10EE rare carriage travel dial
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10EE rare carriage travel dial

So it seems there may be some parts missing from this 10EE carriage travel dial mechanism.

does anyone have a diagram, drawings or schematics with more details?

Thank you!
    Matthew

cariage-dial-1.jpg
    cariage-dial-2.jpg
    cariage-dial-3.jpg
    cariage-dial-4.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf46 View Post
    So it seems there may be some parts missing from this 10EE carriage travel dial mechanism.

Thank you!
    Matthew

cariage-dial-1.jpg
    cariage-dial-2.jpg
    cariage-dial-3.jpg
    cariage-dial-4.jpg
    Cal Haines called it. What you have is rare and NOT a "Trav-a-Dial", which see, here:

trav a dial mounting to a 10ee

Your one we would ALL like to better understand.

First impression is that it counts turns of the system that operates the pinion against the rack.

Surely hope there is more to it, as what with wear and the NEED for a tad of backlash, that is not as reliable nor precise a way to ascertain position as one might wish?

"To be determined"

...and for at least the near-term, you may be a minority.. of ONE.. as the point of hands-on research.

3. Likes mjf46 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you!
    Matthew

cariage-dial-1.jpg
    cariage-dial-2.jpg
    cariage-dial-3.jpg
    cariage-dial-4.jpg
    I think that you have everything. The other dial like this that showed up (on EE27264) was an accumulating dial, with an extra ring/dial and a gear train that rotated the secondary ring so that you could read the inches of travel. (Very cool!) The empty holes in your base casting are for the gear train.

Here's a link to the accumulating apron feed dial post:The post has a link to a website with more photos of the dial innards. (It's owner, docswarf, hasn't posted here since 2013.)

But, the good news is that you have the only dial like that that's shown up here. A real collector's item! I don't think that even the world renown 10EE iron-hoarder, rke[pler, has managed to score either version of the dial.

By the way, you might want to mask off the machined surfaces when you're painting. Paint in the wrong places will cause you problems down the road.

Cal

5. Likes mjf46 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    The post has a link to a website with more photos of the dial innards. (It's owner, docswarf, hasn't posted here since 2013.)
    ... but HAS logged-in a lot more recently. 2-5-2020.

Mayhap he has simply sold-on his 10EE, taken up some of his OTHER interests (in the "about me" profile...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But, the good news is that you have the only dial like that that's shown up here. A real collector's item! I don't think that even the world renown 10EE iron-hoarder, rke[pler, has managed to score either version of the dial.
    I think the world renown 10EE hoarder is actually Alex with the unpronounceable last name. I only have one 10EE and thus I am out of the running.

(Now accessory hoarding, that's something else...)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that if the combined weight of your 10EE tooling exceeds the that of the machine, you qualify.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that you have everything. The other dial like this that showed up (on EE27264) was an accumulating dial, with an extra ring/dial and a gear train that rotated the secondary ring so that you could read the inches of travel. (Very cool!) The empty holes in your base casting are for the gear train.

Here's a link to the accumulating apron feed dial post:The post has a link to a website with more photos of the dial innards. (It's owner, docswarf, hasn't posted here since 2013.)

By the way, you might want to mask off the machined surfaces when you're painting. Paint in the wrong places will cause you problems down the road.

Cal
    Thanks for the link to the old thread Cal! It seems I am missing some of the small gears inside the dial.

W.R.T. the paint - Great tip on masking. I am making good use of my razor blades and scotch bright to clean the castings down to the machined surfaces.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the link to the old thread Cal! It seems I am missing some of the small gears inside the dial.
    Unless I mis-read Cal's point, no - not "missing". Never there to begin with.

Your one just used a part common to it's up-priced sibling which had an extra function - the "totalizer" or accumulating SECOND graduated ring-dial.