What's new
What's new

10EE "Regular Leadscrew Reverse Shifter"

focusrsh

Aluminum
While taking apart the headstock on my 1942 EE10 to replace a broken clutch fork, I pulled off the "Regular Leadscrew Reverse Shifter" unit to clean out 70+ years of grit.
leadscrew reverse.jpg

Looking at the parts catalog, I find I am missing parts, namely items 1, 2 and 3 and shown here.
Capture.JPG

Which has me asking, what do they do? Part #1 is call a "Stop Rod". It appears that as the carriage move to the left, it will press on the stop rod. Is the intent that it shifts the leadscrew into neutral?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I don't have a Round dial, and take this for what it is worth. I do not see evidence that this has anything more than the standard stop rod arrangement that all EE's save the MFG models have. The rod (1)that has the cutouts on it, has a little handle on the end, you turn the rod 90deg up and it allows you to move the rod to whatever length to do the job, and then move the little lever back and a spring loaded dog(7,8,9,10) engages in the closest cutout and locks it in place. This provides a hard stop for the apron. The drawn diagram also shows the micrometer (3)end that screws into the end of that rod, and a extension(3). Now there was a ELSR type system for the Round dial, but I am not seeing it here....but could be wrong. There maybe a special kick out assy inside your feed knob housing that is different from the drawn diagram possibly. I can't see from the pic but your on/off spindle switch at the front of the headstock looks unusual, and might be a clue.

Looking at the parts catalog/manual, Monarch apparently made three variations: a "Regular Leadscrew Reverse Shifter", a "Mechanical Leadscrew Reverse" and an "Electrical Leadscrew Reverse". The photo I included in the first post was from the "Regular" version. There are a lot more parts in the other two versions, with what appears to be a handle, although the parts in the bottom half of the picture appear to be the same for all.
Capture.JPG

By the way, I always do a thread search before posting any questions. I didn't find anything addressing this.

Looking at the parts catalog/manual, Monarch apparently made three variations: a "Regular Leadscrew Reverse Shifter", a "Mechanical Leadscrew Reverse" and an "Electrical Leadscrew Reverse". The photo I included in the first post was from the "Regular" version. There are a lot more parts in the other two versions, with what appears to be a handle, although the parts in the bottom half of the picture appear to be the same for all.
View attachment 262478

By the way, I always do a thread search before posting any questions. I didn't find anything addressing this.
That precision stop rod is to mount a indicator on as the stops are .5 inches apart.

Yep, that's the missing evidence. But I assume you are missing all of that ..correct? It would be cool to have that all up and functional, but if that stuff is not there...you are probably SOL.

While taking apart the headstock on my 1942 EE10 to replace a broken clutch fork, I pulled off the "Regular Leadscrew Reverse Shifter" unit to clean out 70+ years of grit.
View attachment 262457

Looking at the parts catalog, I find I am missing parts, namely items 1, 2 and 3 and shown here.
View attachment 262458

Which has me asking, what do they do? Part #1 is call a "Stop Rod". It appears that as the carriage move to the left, it will press on the stop rod. Is the intent that it shifts the leadscrew into neutral?
I think this has already been covered, but just to clarify, the missing parts are not part of an automatic stop mechanism. The stop rod could be used with a hard stop or indicator that mount on a small, vertical dovetail on the left end of the carriage. I can't tell for sure, but your dovetail appears to be missing. Both the hard stop and the indicator were manual aids. Particularly the hard stop, which should only be used with manual carriage feed, where the operator gently brings the carriage into contact with the stop. The indicator was housed in a hardened case that had a cover with a window in it. A skilled operator could use the indicator with power feed or while threading, as an aid to know when to stop the carriage. The "automatic" stop systems could be used with power feed or while threading and would stop the spindle (in the case of the electric version) or kick the headstock out of feed (in the case of the mechanical version).

Part #E13-2 (also E14-21 and E15-2) is the head from a depth micrometer, IIRC Monarch used a Starrett.

This post has a photo showing the micrometer head, indicator case and several other carriage stops: Over the edge

Very early versions of the Sunsdtrand drive round-dials had a large lever, instead of a knob, for the reverse shifter. Here's an example from EE7295, built 02/1940:
EE7295_4.jpg

I assume that the idea was so that the operator could shift the feed in/out with the spindle turning, but that feature quickly disappeared. At some point, about mid 1940, the lever disappeared and was replaced with the feed direction knob that all later 10EEs include. Square-dial 10EEs even added an interlock to keep the operator from turning the reverse shifter knob when the quick-change gearbox was set to thread.

Cal

Back