What's new
What's new

10EE round dial end gear bearings

GrantGunderson

Hot Rolled
Most of the original bearings for the end gear on my 10EE are shot.

What are you guys using for replacements? I know New Departure is long out of business, and I suspect that modern bearing technology has only surpassed what was used in the lathe back in 1944. I did a forum search but didn't find much info on modern replacements.

I am no expert in bearing nomenclature and most of what I typically work on is pretty standard off the shelf bearings for high-end mountian bikes.

The bearing numbers I am looking at replacing are:
New Departure C487505V. No idea what the C is, but the V is SNAP RING LOCATED ON OPPOSITE SIDE FROM STANDARD

New Departure NM0205B. No Idea what NM stands for. the B is DIMENSIONAL AND/OR INTERNAL DEVIATION WHEN SUFFIXED TO STANDARD BEARING NUMBER

New Departure C8505. No idea what the C is

Am I correct in thinking that all 3 of the above bearings are ABEC 5 rated?

The last bearing is made by SKF
2202 HC LW02. No Idea what HC or LW02 stand for.

We have a bearing and gear supply store here in town that I deal with a lot. When I need bearings for my personal stuff I'll have them find me the new replacement numbers and then cross reference them. Then I just hop on ebay or one of the outlet stores and shop around. The 600.00 dollar bearings I needed for back gear/seed reduction box I found on Ebay for 35 bucks new. Don

Most replacement bearings will be available. I just went through my whole round dial and as I recall the only ones I had trouble with sourcing were for the gears on the headstock for driving the threading potion of the quick change gearbox. As you have identified the code specifying the snap ring groove on the opposite side of normal....as I recall that was the issue I had. In my case I took off the inside shields, cleaned out the original bearings, greased them, and put them back to work.

I can second Don’s suggestion. I had to replace bearings in our Harig surface grinder. I went through the Barden book, which was a pain in the ass to find the correct bearings. Thats why I’d suggest getting a relationship with a local bearing shop if possible. It will save you some trouble. I ordered new old stock from Ebay. They were maybe 180$

I spent over an hour with the guys at the local bearing shop. A few of the bearings had them a bit stumped as some of the bearings with the snapping orientations are not very common. $460 latter they where able to source all but one. I'm sure I could have found them a bit cheaper online, but I dont know if I would have gotten all of the correct flange and Gove combinations etc. Plus its worth paying a bit extra for their knowledge So it is what it is.

The one bearings that is pretty much unobtaioum is the NM0205B. Its a flanged bearing with a notch o note inner race. A close replacement is $250 for that one, and it doesn't have the correct notch.
IMG_2373.jpg

However going back and looking at my pictures, that notch appears to get pressed int next to the flange on the Tumbler shaft, so it doesn't appear to do anything... so no idea why it has a notch. It does not align with any keyways or set screws, etc. The inner race is on the shaft in the image I posted.
IMG_2149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 32
Here is a New Departure catalogue. Locate BB on Ebay has most of the bearings. There are modern equivalents of everything as well, but with different numbers. New Departure used their own numbers. If a particular oddball bearing is not available, i.e. snap ring, simply get a bearing without the lockring and loctite in place with Loctite 290. I rebuilt my 1956 and put original new, New Departures in the entire machine, except the spindle bearings, Fafnir, and the 88505s in the apron and end gears. Those bearings from LocateBB were bad and I sent them back. I replaced those with Japanese bearings.

New Departure Hand Book ... - General motors sales corporation. New departure division - Google Books

When you removed the feedshaft housing (left hole) and that bearing cover (right hole) do you recall if there was a gasket on that dual holed section? I can't recall, can't find my pictures and I'm about to start re-assembly of that area.

I rebuilt a round dial gearbox in about 1995, and even then there were a lot of bearings that were not available. One of the bearings with the snap ring on the exterior was just a common bearing with a snap ring added. I cut a groove in a standard bearing and it worked great.

Back