What's new
What's new

10EE square dial apron oiling system question

bmazin

Aluminum
I’m almost done reassembling my now refurbished apron (including mostly new gears, thanks nateman). Some questions:

1. I don’t understand what is going on in the smaller base casting (see picture). It does get fed with oil from the bijur pump through the larger hole, but it looks like it will just pool in there and do nothing before dripping out. Is this only used for ELSR or something? Should I put a plug into the oil outlet hole? It is threaded. I don’t think the casting had a gasket when I took it apart, and monarch didn’t send me one when I asked for all the gaskets for the apron.

2. There are two oil lines at the top of the apron that look like they drip oil onto the gears. I basically destroyed the originals when disassembling. What should these be oiling?

0c670965acc7e549b772a349d2f5c62b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I don’t understand what is going on in the smaller base casting (see picture). It does get fed with oil from the bijur pump through the larger hole, but it looks like it will just pool in there and do nothing before dripping out. Is this only used for ELSR or something? Should I put a plug into the oil outlet hole? It is threaded. I don’t think the casting had a gasket when I took it apart, and monarch didn’t send me one when I asked for all the gaskets for the apron.

Dirt / Moisture trap possibly?

I "think" that is just a cover to blank over where the ELSR mechanism is located. I assume yours does not have this feature, just the apron lever? I know my ELSR apron casting has a zerk fitting to grease it, so I don't know if any residual oil from the apron actually gets in there, but I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put a drain tap if you wanted.

Believe you'll find an oil port on the top half nut that would lube the half nuts and lead screw. Excess will probably drain to that location if I remember correctly.

And.. that was wrong. After experimenting a bit, the large threaded hole near the smaller base casting does need to be plugged up - the oil pump will not build pressure unless it is.

The oil to the half nuts / lead screw is gravity fed from the oil sump on top of the apron. From one of the bottom holes as posted in the 1st picture from Russ above. That has nothing to due with pressure to the pump which is metered from the Bijur meter which feeds three or four gravity fed outputs again as in Pic #1 from @rke[pler. Need pics and what you plugged something with that wasn't plugged before you took it apart.

Sorry for not being clear. The hole I plugged (and I can’t remember if it was plugged when I took it apart) is circled in red. Looking at the drawing if it isn’t plugged oil will just exit that hole instead of going out the two exits near the top of the apron.

d66b453c5433bc2791bc335a6a21a33c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. There are two oil lines at the top of the apron that look like they drip oil onto the gears. I basically destroyed the originals when disassembling. What should these be oiling? ...
The two oil lines in the top of the apron itself supply oil to the apron- and cross-feed clutches. You can see one of the clutches in Russ's first picture, with the other line heading off to the other clutch.

Cal

Back