What's new
What's new

10EE Square Dial Spindle Internal Taper?

jfl4066

Plastic
Hello All,

I have a 1953 square dial MG 10EE. It has the typical D1-3 mount. There is no collet closer installed on the lathe. My question, is the ID of the nose tapered? From what I can tell it looks pretty straight. If there is a taper, what type is it? If not, what are you using for a center?

Hello All,

I have a 1953 square dial MG 10EE. It has the typical D1-3 mount. There is no collet closer installed on the lathe. My question, is the ID of the nose tapered? From what I can tell it looks pretty straight. If there is a taper, what type is it? If not, what are you using for a center?

Monarch made a D1-3 5C adapter for the spindle to use with the lever/hand collet closer.....

Kevin

Monarch also made a Jarno12 to MT2 adapter sleeve that fits the internal taper. One was supplied with every lathe, standard equipment.

Miller Machine makes a Jarno12 spindle test bar, a very useful accessory.

When I got my 10ee It seems simple enough to make a collar to fit into the inside taper of the spindle. After doing so, found out it was awful to use, the spindle tube is so long that I could not sit at the work end and reach the handwheel to tighten/loosen the collet. I do sit in a WC all my waking hours, but the reach from handwheel to work is just very long. Bought a collet chuck, mount direct to spindle, works great. Not as fast as a lever type, but works well in this application.

Bought a collet chuck, mount direct to spindle, works great. Not as fast as a lever type, but works well in this application.

Depends on what you mean by not as fast...

Most of my work involves a single use of a collet... i.e. each job requires installing a collet. In that case, it is faster to use the collet chuck, since it is much easier to change collets than with a Monarch lever-operated collet chuck. Yes there are spindle nose lever-operated collet chucks, but they are not very common.

The other advantage of the collet chuck is that standard collets go to larger sizes than 5C. 2J goes up to 1 ⅜”, which is a good match for the 10EE since it matches the spindle ID. Other systems are available that go to 1.5” and larger. However, 5C offers the advantage of readily available expanding collets and pot chuck collets. So in reality you need both.

Back