What's new
What's new

10ee stopped working today

Jaymce

Aluminum
Fired my 10ee up today to turn some parts and it seemed to be running slowly and not taking a clean cut. I chalked it up to some tractor supply bought unknown quality steel and a chipped cutter.

Replaced the cutter and went to fire it up and it was making noise like a stripped gear or something in the Motor generator area. It changed as motor speed increased / decreased. While trying to diagnose the noise the the drive has stopped altogether. Ie motor running press lever that begins the spindle turning and it does not spin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

With the spindle lever in the off position, have you tried rotating the chuck or the lead screw by hand and checking to make sure the correct levers are fully engaged.

Hal

With the spindle lever in the off position, have you tried rotating the chuck or the lead screw by hand and checking to make sure the correct levers are fully engaged.

Hal
I had not changed anything when this occurred.

Went back and fired it up again and it seems OK now. No grinding sound. However while shifting from open gears to back gears I notice you have to go past the detents in order for the spindle to operate so maybe I knocked it and it was not fully engaged in the open belt position earlier

Hal,
Thanks for the help. Seems fine now. My levers for Open/back gear, belt feed & thread feeds all weep oil. Probably when I wiped the front of the machine off I knocked the spindle lever into the detent or past.

Funny because all the noise seemed to be coming from the drive.

easy to change the oil seals behind those levers and stop those oil leaks
hardest part is removing the old seal
I was thinking that would be the next project to tackle.

I'm going to take a look at the drawings and see where they are. Any idea if they are standard o-ring type seals or something that needs to be ordered from Monarch?

i bought standard ones. measure the shaft size and the opening size. they are standard. i made a seal removal tool. short 1/2" square bar with two holes at the ends for 3" wood screws.
one threaded hole in the center of the bar for a 10" piece of threaded rod with a stop at the end. get an 10 oz weight and set it on the threaded rod like a dent puller. it pulls the old seal right out.
drill two small holes in the seal and screw the screws in the holes. tap that weight against the stop and the old seal will come right out with no damage to the shaft.
when you install the new seal, put some scotch tape over the shaft and the tapered pin holes so the sharp edge does not ruin the sealing lip.

Back