What's new
What's new

10EE Tailstock Lubrication

Will McRay

Aluminum
I disassembled the tail stock and split the upper from the lower unit. Inside at the ways lubrication spot I found a felt pad in there. This is not on the parts drawing and Monarch says that is not their part. So my question is, has anyone seen this before? By having this in there is it limiting the lubrication to the ways when sliding the tail stock?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Will

IMG_2826.jpg
b908f02efe45cf4a391a17145fd8a5bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how this happens but the picture in the feed isn’t mine. When opening the thread it’s not there. Weird.

that pad looks exactly like the one I took out of my tail stock which my senses said was original. my feeling is it "dampens" and spreads out the flow / distributes of the oil.

I replaced my original with something that was new/similar.

that pad looks exactly like the one I took out of my tail stock which my senses said was original. my feeling is it "dampens" and spreads out the flow / distributes of the oil.

I replaced my original with something that was new/similar.

What did you use?

Still kicking this around in my head. Those that have restored their tailstocks, what did you use if any?

The way it looks to me is the lube tube sits flush with the way surface. The only time line should dispense is when you move the tail stock. Placing the felt in there looks to me would limit the lube dispensed from very little to none.

Can anyone talk to the lubrications to the ways with tailstocks thatvdo not have these pads in there. Is it too much lube? Does the lube drain sitting static?

Will

Still kicking this around in my head. Those that have restored their tailstocks, what did you use if any?

Nope. Always meant to, never got around to it. Don't see a lot of wear on the ground ways.

The way it looks to me is the lube tube sits flush with the way surface. The only time line should dispense is when you move the tail stock. Placing the felt in there looks to me would limit the lube dispensed from very little to none.

There's a limit to how much oil the felt can hold, once past that the felt just distributes the oil more evenly than cast iron.

Can anyone talk to the lubrications to the ways with tailstocks thatvdo not have these pads in there. Is it too much lube? Does the lube drain sitting static?

I just hammer my tailstock with a couple of big shots of way oil through the base Gits hole. Seems to work?

i use my manufacturing model ee pretty hard, when drilling anywhere deep, I will slide the tail stock back to clear the chips, then slide it in and feed the quill in a turn, then slide it back to clear the chips again. Thats working the tail stock on the ways alot. I suggest using more oil when doing that.
It was pointed out to me that, dragging the tail stock along the bed ways by its "hand wheel" causes increased wear on the tailstock base, resulting in the quill pointing downward and toward the rear of the machine. So,less wear will result if, the tail stock is moved with the right hand grabbing the tail stock base between the ways at the rear, and with a couple of fingers of the left hand slightly lifting just under the nose at the front. That will reduce some of the strain.

You are waaay over-thinking this.

You are WAY WAYYYY over thinking this. Shove some felt in there to help distribute and dampen the flow of oil, shove some candle wick or torn up t-shirt in there for the same result. Put nothing in there and still get the lube to the ways (although in a less steady flow rate).

rakort

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t believe I am over thinking anything. I am simply asking the question to find out why this is there and the benefits of it based on the fact the Monarch says it not their part thus, they don’t put it there. What are the pros and cons? So what is the rationale? I have the tailstock disassemble and would rather feel comfortable putting it back together with the best intention of it being right and working right the first time around. Isn’t what this forum is about? Ask questions and provide experience that can help others......

My feelings are not hurt and I have very thick skin so I thank those that have contributed to this thread, thank you.

Will

Back