Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10EE Tailstock Lubrication

I disassembled the tail stock and split the upper from the lower unit. Inside at the ways lubrication spot I found a felt pad in there. This is not on the parts drawing and Monarch says that is not their part. So my question is, has anyone seen this before? By having this in there is it limiting the lubrication to the ways when sliding the tail stock?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Will

img_2826.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Will McRay View Post
    ...By having this in there is it limiting the lubrication to the ways when sliding the tail stock?
    When new, AND if, and only if, kept "saturated" to the point that a shot of oil IN produced a comparable amount OUT, just perhaps slowed-down and spread out over time, if-even that, it would be neutral. Also help block swarf introduced at the fill-point. Which isn't generally a big issue, this point, compared to what the way wipers might let past..

As they age, however, many oils polymerize or have components that do, adding to any dirt or biologicals that harden the felt and eventually block flow.

I'd leave it out. As Monarch did.

If you NEED that filtering in a severe environment, better to filter right at the inlet port where you can replace a smaller felt or wick easily and often.

3. Likes Will McRay liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure how this happens but the picture in the feed isnít mine. When opening the thread itís not there. Weird.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that pad looks exactly like the one I took out of my tail stock which my senses said was original. my feeling is it "dampens" and spreads out the flow / distributes of the oil.

I replaced my original with something that was new/similar.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rakort View Post
    that pad looks exactly like the one I took out of my tail stock which my senses said was original. my feeling is it "dampens" and spreads out the flow / distributes of the oil.

I replaced my original with something that was new/similar.
    What did you use?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used a piece of wool "felt" I purchased from McMaster. Same material I am using to make way wipers and so forth.

What did you use?

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still kicking this around in my head. Those that have restored their tailstocks, what did you use if any?

The way it looks to me is the lube tube sits flush with the way surface. The only time line should dispense is when you move the tail stock. Placing the felt in there looks to me would limit the lube dispensed from very little to none.

Can anyone talk to the lubrications to the ways with tailstocks thatvdo not have these pads in there. Is it too much lube? Does the lube drain sitting static?

Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still kicking this around in my head. Those that have restored their tailstocks, what did you use if any?
    Nope. Always meant to, never got around to it. Don't see a lot of wear on the ground ways.

The way it looks to me is the lube tube sits flush with the way surface. The only time line should dispense is when you move the tail stock. Placing the felt in there looks to me would limit the lube dispensed from very little to none.
    There's a limit to how much oil the felt can hold, once past that the felt just distributes the oil more evenly than cast iron.

Can anyone talk to the lubrications to the ways with tailstocks thatvdo not have these pads in there. Is it too much lube? Does the lube drain sitting static?
    I just hammer my tailstock with a couple of big shots of way oil through the base Gits hole. Seems to work?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Enco hex bed turret for one of mine.

You are waaay over-thinking this.

- A carriage traverses all day, every day, all of its "working" life. Cross as well. Proper lube is crucial to operation of both.

- A TS may not even be in use at all for most of its life, may even be off the machine to clear the limited space.

- By convention, a TS is locked in one place when it IS used. It is almost never both under-load AND sliding at the same time. Nothing on or in it moves "fast", even so.

Bottom line is that TS lube is nowhere near as critical as .. well.. almost EVERYTHING else - possible exception a worklight ball & socket pivot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i use my manufacturing model ee pretty hard, when drilling anywhere deep, I will slide the tail stock back to clear the chips, then slide it in and feed the quill in a turn, then slide it back to clear the chips again. Thats working the tail stock on the ways alot. I suggest using more oil when doing that.
    It was pointed out to me that, dragging the tail stock along the bed ways by its "hand wheel" causes increased wear on the tailstock base, resulting in the quill pointing downward and toward the rear of the machine. So,less wear will result if, the tail stock is moved with the right hand grabbing the tail stock base between the ways at the rear, and with a couple of fingers of the left hand slightly lifting just under the nose at the front. That will reduce some of the strain.

13. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    You are waaay over-thinking this.

You are WAY WAYYYY over thinking this. Shove some felt in there to help distribute and dampen the flow of oil, shove some candle wick or torn up t-shirt in there for the same result. Put nothing in there and still get the lube to the ways (although in a less steady flow rate).

rakort
    Last edited by Cal Haines; 06-29-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: off topic content removed

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I donít believe I am over thinking anything. I am simply asking the question to find out why this is there and the benefits of it based on the fact the Monarch says it not their part thus, they donít put it there. What are the pros and cons? So what is the rationale? I have the tailstock disassemble and would rather feel comfortable putting it back together with the best intention of it being right and working right the first time around. Isnít what this forum is about? Ask questions and provide experience that can help others......

My feelings are not hurt and I have very thick skin so I thank those that have contributed to this thread, thank you.

Will