What's new
What's new

10EE taper adapter: grooves on bar rails?

focusrsh

Aluminum
I've been working on the taper adapter that came with my 1942 10EE.
In this photo, you'll see a groove cut into the two bar rails that the shoe stud bushing rides against. I don't find any reason for this groove. Nothing I have fits in it.
On this forum, after searching through the 37 pages returned from a search on "taper adapter", I found a photo of the TA with the bars reversed, so the groove is on the outside. But there was subsequent discussion that perhaps THAT photo was wrong.
Is there some kind of cover that is suppose to snap into these grooves?

IMG_7141.jpg

The grooves should be facing outwards. The factory covers slide into that groove for retention and create more of an ingress free connection.
My taper attachment did not come with the factory covers, so I made some out of stainless sheet metal. Each side is held in place by the one bolt you should be able to see in my attached pictures.
The factory ones have rounded sides which i plan to add at some point.
Hope this helps

40d0a8cafce60bbb742da76dc8da6f2d.jpg
2edb44e67bd83d94ab0a8c5482e4bfd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are some pictures with the covers off. In the last picture, you can see the groove facing outwards.
Also as a side note, I made some wipers and covers for the shoe because mine were missing. It appears they go missing often because most the pictures I found online didn’t have any

8c1cb75f1451a2de898677ec6025bb32.jpg
26e4fb3c591e262511269a434b73a75a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't recall who suggested it first, but you might consider finding a nice stainless steel baker's sheet pan, with the corners stamped and beaded, to cut your cover from.

Cal

I don't recall who suggested it first, but you might consider finding a nice stainless steel baker's sheet pan, with the corners stamped and beaded, to cut your cover from.

Cal

That suggestion has been around a long while. Then you are going to have to decide if the rounded corners go up or down. That debate has also been going on a long time.

Mine "might be" OEM, they are that neatly made.

UP turned. About a 3/4" wall, and round at the bend and even smooth round into the right-angles at the corners. No lines, No wrinkles. No wheel or roller marks. No fillers. Just dead smooth.

If those were "shop fab", the "shop" was a class-act at sheet-metal stamping die fabrication. Monarch, Sidney, OH. would not have to have gone very far to find that sort of contractor, back when Ohio fabbed half the world and put tires on the rest.

Yes, but you can install them with the lip down if you swap them side for side. I've seen 10EE's both ways. Lip down doesn't collect chips. I think they came lip up from Monarch, but I have seen more than one with them installed lip down.

Back