Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10EE threading gears flat belt source

Just thought I'd let everyone know that McMaster-Carr will make custom-length flat belts. I order a 1" x 33" to drive the threading gears for my 1942 10EE and it fits perfectly. Cost was about $35 with shipping, which I feel is very reasonable. It arrived in 3 days.

They also sell Mobil DTE in 1-gallon bottles. The last gallon I order arrived in the next day!

You can order everything, including the flat belts, on their website.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by focusrsh View Post
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that McMaster-Carr will make custom-length flat belts. I order a 1" x 33" to drive the threading gears for my 1942 10EE and it fits perfectly. Cost was about $35 with shipping, which I feel is very reasonable. It arrived in 3 days.

They also sell Mobil DTE in 1-gallon bottles. The last gallon I order arrived in the next day!

You can order everything, including the flat belts, on their website.
    Not news, but.. the flat belt is fine for 10EE that have the slender sheave on the spindle.

Those that lack it, a $13 PolyVee from the local auto-parts store is the cheaper and longer-lasting deal.

The sharpish edges of the keyway on the unprotected spindle gradually shredded the leftmost edge of my flat belt.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully you mean Mobile DTE Heavy-Medium or DTE Light. They also carry DTE 26 and DTE 24, which are hydraulic oils and NOT the correct lubricant; lots of confusion caused by the fact that DTE appears in the names of both products.

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    Hopefully you mean Mobile DTE Heavy-Medium or DTE Light. They also carry DTE 26 and DTE 24, which are hydraulic oils and NOT the correct lubricant; lots of confusion caused by the fact that DTE appears in the names of both products.

Cal
    Since it has come up (again), and since a round-dial 10EE only needs a bit over or under 3 ounces, each of front and rear spindle-bearing reservoirs, uses it nowhere else?

Smaller purchase units may be handy as gallons could be misplaced, punctured, or contaminated between flush and replace or top-up intervals, so - for DTE light in quarts:

Mobil DTE Light Turbine Oil, 1 Quart, from Mobil, oil-dte-light-qt - Chief Aircraft Inc.

There are probably competitors. Other lathes use the same lube.

But this is at least in branded OEM packaging, not decanted by a amateur ebay re-packager with DIY sticky-labels, risking accidental swap / mislabel, or contamination.

1 Qt worth..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Since it has come up (again), and since a round-dial 10EE only needs a bit over or under 3 ounces, each of front and rear spindle-bearing reservoirs, uses it nowhere else?
    The 10EE lubrication manual says the headstock main section takes 3 quarts, so combined with the one pint for both the front and rear bearing reservoirs, a gallon is needed.

And as far as the Mobile DTE supplied by McMaster-Carr, yes they have the correct DTE Light and Heavy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 10EE lubrication manual says the headstock main section takes 3 quarts, so combined with the one pint for both the front and rear bearing reservoirs, a gallon is needed.
    Old round dials, the spindle reservoirs were the only place DTE Light was used. Also the only place (expensive bearings) I go by the OEM whether it actually matters or not.

The center section used something else and it doesn't much matter.

Search engines aren't finding the thread at present.