What's new
What's new

10EE Timeline...

I guess the crickets chirping around this post means none of us know. Why don't you call Monarch Lathes (937-492-4111) and see if anyone there is in a decent enough mood to tell you and report back !

If you have any trouble, you might hint that you have $60,000 burning a hole in your pocket, and was thinking of a brand new 10ee but you simply *have* to know the control timeline first
wink.gif

If Monarch is not capable of providing the information possibly participants in this group could respond with s/n's and dates of manufacture for their particular machines. In this way a rough interpolation could be made. For instance, my s/n 43245 was built in January 1958 and uses the twin C16J thyratron tube control circuit with the 5hp dc drive motor.

actually, a monarch "ee" time-line would be well worth while, but the only real way to do it would be for someone to make arrangements with the monarch people to go through the old files at the monarch works....

hopefully, after whatever re-organisation it was that the the monarch corporate structure underwent, the component of that structure which is now "monarch lathes" made a point of saving all the old files......if not, there could be some real problems.....

one possibility comes to mind......if some number of "ee" owners were to form a working group, and raise some amount of capital, it should be possible to approach the owners of "monarch lathes" with a proposal, that they allow us to hire a suitable research worker, or pay the salary of one of their workers, for the 2wks to a month's time (probably) needed to photocopy the engineering change orders done for the "ee" machines over the years, together with the drawings and schematics for the various drive systems....

this material would be the definitive book on the "ee" machines, obviously.....

there is an obvious question, tho......would the present owners of the "monarch lathes" operation be willing to allow this to be done, or do they consider the material to be proprietary, inasmuch as they are in the business of rebuilding and supplying parts for the monarch lathes......

i personally would think that monarch's current owners would find it much to their advantage to co-operate or even assist in the research and publication of a book on the "ee" machines, as such a book would certainly encourage individual machinists or small shop owners to purchase and rebuild "ee" machines, leading to increased sales of "ee" parts and components....

i don't know, of course, but i'd strongly suspect that there are quite a few "ee" lathes lying unused in warehouses, cos they have electrical problems......a book with good information about the "ee" machines would certainly encourage individual users to put these machines back in service.....

does anyone here know anyone at monarch?????

cheers

carla

It is fasinating the sheer number of 10ee's that I run across in plants and at auctions. It's a surprisingly common lathe considering they must have been somewhat expensive even in the 40's and 50's, compared to the other lathe makes in that size range.

Back