What's new
What's new

10EE Tool room vs Manufacturing Lathe differences

Will McRay

Aluminum
I have a 1947 10EE and have read that there are two versions. My data plate does not state which it is. How do you tell, Toolmaker vs Manufacturing?

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, Toolmaker lathes will have a leadscrew and gearbox for threading, plus a compound top slide and a tailstock.

There are a lot of variations of "manufacturing" lathes- most I have seen do not have a lead screw or threading gearbox. Some have taper, there are chuckers, turrets, some have a variable feed gearbox, some do not, etc.

Thank you that information. Can’t seem to find any info online.

Thanks again

Will

Photo here of mine, I was doing something with an index head on the cross slide.
The gear box has only 6 power feeds. Similar purpose machine to the Hardinge TFB, turn face bore.
The MFG lathe cannot be converted to a regular screw cutting lathe because the factory did not fully machine the head stock, or the apron for those extra parts.
I find the machine a very useful addition to a full featured ee.

Good points, Donie.
Have a MFG lathe- the feed motor is electric, it's speed was tied to the spindle speed and there is no 6 speed gearbox, only a backgear.
The spindle (inside the headstock) is machined differently than on a 10EE set up for a gearbox. The apron looks like it is already machined for threading but would require halfnuts and few other things, (in addition to a leadscrew and threading gearbox, of course).

They did offer electronic feed as an option, probably to have the offering as Hardinge, I think that is one of the most rare options.
One conclusion can be made over the years on this forum is, there is nothing set in stone, the factory made customized versions of the ee model, the one with the extra upper headstock backgear comes to mind!
My 1951 10ee MFG is marked on the data plate MFG where it would otherwise say Toolroom. This is one of many similar machines used at Hanford. The factory info states, Standard manufacturing lathe, with the only accessories being an 8" 3jaw light duty chuck, and a back mount toolpost for the dove tail on the cross slide. I dont know if the dovetail mount on top of the cross slide is standard for the MFG model.
The lack of all the parts of the more complex toolroom models makes the MFG abit easier to use, and easier to clean, I work the machine as much as possible, to save wear and tear on the better machines.

The lathe has alot of wear, but still is remarkably accurate, and good for nasty stuff like grinding chuck jaws.

I have seen what appears to be standard screw cutting toolroom models that are marked MFG at the Hanford site, the only difference I could tell, was the lack of filler used before they painted the machines, and taper attachment, so they are rough like the one I have.
I dont know if there is an accuracy difference compared the toolroom models, the cost was much less without extras like an $8000 taper attachment-late 90s price.

The machine does have the standard compound or top slide, making wood shaper table ring.

Good points, Donie.
Have a MFG lathe- the feed motor is electric, it's speed was tied to the spindle speed and there is no 6 speed gearbox, only a backgear.
The spindle (inside the headstock) is machined differently than on a 10EE set up for a gearbox. The apron looks like it is already machined for threading but would require halfnuts and few other things, (in addition to a leadscrew and threading gearbox, of course).

Is the manufacturing spindle "less" machined than the regular spindles? Like, could a good manufacturing 10EE spindle be realistically modified to fit a standard 10EE?

Think Donie has a good point- there are tons of variations of Toolroom and Manufacturing lathes, all kinds of options were available and Monarch also built custom machines with specific purposes in mind.

The spindle in my MFG machine will fit in a Toolroom headstock but lacks various grooves and slots for the gears that drive the threading/feed gearbox. Would'nt be surprised if there are MFG spindles that are identical to Toolroom spindles though. Perhaps it depended somewhat on which parts were available on the shelf at the time a particular machine was built.

Wow, great stuff guys. I appreciate all the discussion and information. This is what I brought home today.
e9eff592615a28cb98f4e13fb53956b6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The spindle in my mfg lathe, is also not fully machined, but, at least one mfg machine showed up here with a fully machined spindle, it would probably depend what the factory had on hand,
The latest models of the mfg machines, that I had seen were early 60s.

Looking through the new paint, the machine looks to be in pretty good shape, the edges around the saddle still have sharp edges, and the feed/thread and other info plates have not been pounded to unread-ability.
The lack of vents on the right end cover indicate a motor gen drive, nice if it is still there.

Anyone have any information on the theory of operation on the MG machines?

usually the first step is to obtain the manual for your machine from monarch, there are changes through the years.

the machine will need to be wired for either 440v or 220v 3phase.

the manual explains basics, the cover on the electrical panel-left end of machine has maintenance information.

people here have considerable experience with machines like yours.

Back