10EE tube drive not running - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used the term light switch in quotes as what was in the machine was placed there by a previous owner and is not actually a house light switch. It is rated for 240 volt use and was hooked up as such. Unfortunately I did not know until yesterday that the disconnect was not functioning properly. I should have suspected it with the other switch having been installed. The electrician who came out last week stated there should be a disconnect mounted on the wall next to the machine. He was to install that yesterday but was not able to make it here so that will be installed in the near future. I can't see replacing the disconnect in the machine and having another disconnect in hands reach on the wall. The "house switch" will be removed and the machine will be turned on at the disconnect on the wall. Please advise if you feel this is a safety issue in any way.

I feel it may be time for me to confess some of my short comings as a Monarch lathe owner. I'm going to relate a short story concerning my late Father and his beloved Airstream trailers. He owned three of them in his lifetime, each one larger and more luxurious than the previous one. His "camping" consisted of going to rallies with like minded Airstream owners where they gathered in large fields and spent the bulk of the day enjoying each others company while talking about their Airstreams, repairing them, and dreaming about their next rally. When he reached the age he could no longer drag my poor Mother to these events we got the Airstream. To me it was a tool. It was a place to stay closer to a trout stream and allowed me to take my spoiled bird dogs and not have to finance all the kennels when we traveled. I performed the required maintenance but can't say I enjoyed it. I just wanted a place to stay with the least amount of problems that would detract from my fishing.

While I'm very enamored with what my lathe is capable of doing my main goal is to produce high quality parts I need for various gun repairs and pieces I need to build bamboo fly rods. In short I want the lathe to turn on, do its thing with the least amount of drama required. I don't have the training or ability that most of you fine folks do and am much to old to begin to think I could acquire it at this stage in my life. I hope this isn't too cold hearted and I surely don't want anyone to think I'm not eternally grateful for the help I've received and will need in the future. I just thought it might help for you to understand where I'm coming from and want to wind up. All the best, Don Hansen.

2. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donhansen View Post
    I used the term light switch in quotes as what was in the machine was placed there by a previous owner and is not actually a house light switch. It is rated for 240 volt use and was hooked up as such. Unfortunately I did not know until yesterday that the disconnect was not functioning properly. I should have suspected it with the other switch having been installed. The electrician who came out last week stated there should be a disconnect mounted on the wall next to the machine. He was to install that yesterday but was not able to make it here so that will be installed in the near future. I can't see replacing the disconnect in the machine and having another disconnect in hands reach on the wall. The "house switch" will be removed and the machine will be turned on at the disconnect on the wall. Please advise if you feel this is a safety issue in any way.

Easy one. Provide BOTH. The one on the wall might let a Wife save some poor bastid while he isn't yet so far rectumfried as to stick a fork in and serve at table. Or wait 'til he crisps up nicely. Ex wife now, the one with that attitude.

Please a Wife or no, you must keep inspector's sweet. Electrician values his ticket vs "Code" more than your convenience. Has to do if he wants to eat reg'lar.

Put another disconnect right on the machine tool for YOUR convenience. Everybody is happy, even cash-back points on a VISA spend. Even so, it's only about an extra $40 if bought right.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh fudge.. your Dad and mine. At least mine went down, not up, with age. 31 foot "international land yacht", Bambi, Globetrotter.

I learned faster. Shitter separated from cookstove by less than 2-inch partition, chemical septic tank under, vent above the roof, whole family of snorers and farters trapped in a space the size of an Airstream with bacon and onion odors from meals?

Stuck that proverbial fork in my own damned self and found ways to get good prices on decent lodging, not even tote much clothing. Folks sell that stuff everywhere, and it wasn't made in USA any time recently to begin with.

5. Likes labeeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, I'll go with replacing the door disconnect AND having one mounted on the wall. What needs replaced is the switch itself as it will not switch to the off position and also some of the contacts must have been fried before the fuse gave out. Where can one buy the switch "right"? Is it something an electrical supply house might stock? Thanks in advance, Don Hansen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donhansen View Post
    OK, I'll go with replacing the door disconnect AND having one mounted on the wall. What needs replaced is the switch itself as it will not switch to the off position and also some of the contacts must have been fried before the fuse gave out. Where can one buy the switch "right"? Is it something an electrical supply house might stock? Thanks in advance, Don Hansen.
    Are we speaking of the old disconnect? Those are stock NEMA items, usually cheaper to replace outright, enclosure and all. Most of those here came from NRI as used-but-good as I'd rather have a used, better-yet NOS, Square-D, Allen-Bradley, or Cutler-hammer than a brand-new El-Cheapo.

Or of the EE Motor Switch? Parts picture E-2-A, item 82 (in the round dial MG-era manual), AKA "drum" switch for FWD-OFF-REV, located in the HS just back of and below the spindle?

If so, I don't know if even Monarch Lathe LP stock those. Several have been rebuilt by PM members.

You'll need to have your one out to ascertain what "generation" it is as well as see to damage or even ordinary wear, and wear they do. That one isn't even close to anything a supply house would stock as far as a whole-unit drop-in part. Some components of it might be, and PM members have fabbed most any part of it, available or not.

Not a show-stopper, IOW, just not a simple drop-in as the disconnects can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pictures of what's being talked about would help here.