What's new
What's new

16cw compare to 16cy

Rob F.

Diamond
Question for the board, I have a 16cw with a top speed of 1200 rpm. Locally for sale is a 16cy with a 487rpm. They both have the same threading range of 2-120 threads/inch. cw is made 8-42 and cy 1-43.

I am thinking of looking at the CY, price seems OK but he might negotiate down a bit. I am not liking the slower speeds and was thinking I could swap motor pulleys and gear speed tags to give the cy a 1200 rpm range. I am not positive the headstock gear ratios are the same so the tag might not be correct at all rpms, but I would expect them to be same.

Are the two models identical with the only change being leadscrew reverse on the CY?

The info I found in searching here was the factory had a top speed on CY at 1000rpm, beckley23 did a pulley swap on his to 1100 and said it was fine.

My Summer '46 CW has a top of 700 which I have never been near after owning it for over 20 years

CY (and all LSR models) have entirely differing apron guts from CW.

All LSR "C" model machines have to slooww dowwnn to use that feature

You can see input shaft / clutch pulley RPM on the speed chart - you are talking more than doubling this on the CY

Any 487 machine waking up to the fact of 1200 is going to need the most thorough oil delivery inspection that can be undertaken

Thanks for reminding me about not going near top speeds, I have probably only run a max speed of 600 or so and dont like going much over due to the gear whine, usually stay down in the 300ish range.
Per the speed tags the 487 rpm cy machine has a pulley speed of 500 rpm and my 1200 rpm cw has a pulley speed of 1232rpm.
It might be best for me to just go look at the CY and if I like it, run it as is. Then I would be using more of the gears instead of just the slow ones like I do now.
I have a smaller lathe with 3500rpm max so faster speed is not important on this one.

Interesting that the CY does not have forward and reverse pushbuttons, looks like just forward with 2 buttons, run and stop. My CW has a three buttons - forward, reverse and stop. Is this the way CY's are or has someone changed it?

CY's are not designed to be run backwards. They can, and you can do very light work running backwards but it is not recommended.

Mainly because of the design of the "shaft clutch" (the cog that engages the shaft to the gear). The cogs are designed for force in one direction. I have a picture of this on the "Monarch CY - My Winter Project"

Wm

Back