What's new
What's new

16CW lead screw adjustment

supernachos

Plastic
Finally beginning to go though the CW16 that I got back in April and noticed that if I close the half nut on the lead screw, and move the carriage wheel, the lead screw has ~0.050" of play. You can clearly see the play is in the thrust bearings on the gear box (i.e. the lead screw moves with the carriage). The Monarch manual is sparse on details but does mention having to adjust this if the lathe cuts "drunken threads".

It's pretty obvious how to loosen the collars by the the gear box and tighten them, but I don't want to over tighten. What is the correct way to set this? Do I just snug up so there is no play, or is there a preload that's supposed to be there? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I do not want to damage the trust bearings.

Also, it's not yet obvious to me where to drain the head stock oil? Anyone recall where the drain plug is? Thinking I should change the oil before I put any time on the machine

Finally, any other thoughts on things to be checked before I start using this machine? Filled the apron and the oiler appears to be working.

Thanks, joel-

Also, it's not yet obvious to me where to drain the head stock oil? Anyone recall where the drain plug is? Thinking I should change the oil before I put any time on the machine

Under the rear overhang - very often hidden by electrical enclosure

There places in the headstock that don't drain by just pulling the plug. If there is any doubt I would pull the headstock cover. A turkey baster is an excellent tool to clean the oil and allow you to flush the gunk from the bottom.

My $.02

Back