What's new
What's new

16CY cross slide gib with only 1/16" in/out adjustment

*D'B=6bk

Aluminum
The video below shows my question better than a text post.

In a nutshell, it seems that my cross-slide gib can only be adjusted in or out by about 1/16" before either one or the other adjustments screws are proud of the face of their respective ends of the cross slide. On the back side, this interferes with attachment of the cross-screw cover and on the front side, it interferes with the way wiper cover.

It seems that the gib is too long to have any adjustment, but it seems more likely that I'm just missing something.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

FWIW my original problem was that when the gib was properly adjusted, it stuck out the back side of the cross slide about half an inch and the cross screw cover couldn't be installed.

The video below shows my question better than a text post.

In a nutshell, it seems that my cross-slide gib can only be adjusted in or out by about 1/16" before either one or the other adjustments screws are proud of the face of their respective ends of the cross slide. On the back side, this interferes with attachment of the cross-screw cover and on the front side, it interferes with the way wiper cover.

It seems that the gib is too long to have any adjustment, but it seems more likely that I'm just missing something.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

FWIW my original problem was that when the gib was properly adjusted, it stuck out the back side of the cross slide about half an inch and the cross screw cover couldn't be installed.

It's worn and either needs a new gib fit, or shimmed.

It appears that you are missing a way wiper on the carriage wiping the v way at the start of the video. There are chips ready to go under the carriage.. Maybe I'm seing it wrong.

Thanks but that wasn't my question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe its the problem. That feeler gauge sliding in the gap is telling you that.

The gib should be snug when close to flush on the ends. Then fine tune with the screws
Inset a little

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the gib needs shimming. But that is a separate issue. The shim doesn't affect the fact that the gib can only be adjusted in or out 1/16th of an inch before the adjustment screws start interfering with other components.

The 1/ 16 is all the adjustment you get The gib should go in snug very close to it's final position [ idealy equqal distance from both ends} then fine tune with the screws.
Its worn past adjusting tolerance.

Edit
I now see that was the tailstock way that I mentioned missing the way wiper under the carriage. No wiper needed there

You could probably shorten your gib by an eighth inch for a little more push pull after you shim .. A new gib is best but a shim gets it going.
Better help should add to your question.

I couldn't hear the video. my poor quality speakers

Back