What's new
What's new

16CY thread in apron oil wells

amishmafia00

Aluminum
I pulled the apron and saddle to check things out and do a little bit of tuning up. There are several oil wells in the saddle that collect and distribute oil. When I saw the first one packed full of stuff I figured that it was some sort of unwanted accumulation. I pulled it out and dropped it in the bucked with all the other stuff I was scraping off. When I saw it other places I realized that it's supposed to be there. Does anyone know what was used originally? I am guessing that it needs to be some sort of natural thread to prevent it from possibly braking down over time

I pulled the apron and saddle to check things out and do a little bit of tuning up. There are several oil wells in the saddle that collect and distribute oil. When I saw the first one packed full of stuff I figured that it was some sort of unwanted accumulation. I pulled it out and dropped it in the bucked with all the other stuff I was scraping off. When I saw it other places I realized that it's supposed to be there. Does anyone know what was used originally? I am guessing that it needs to be some sort of natural thread to prevent it from possibly braking down over time

I'm not sure what you mean by "thread" and "oil wells". But check out this, from posts #119 to #134 and see if it is similar:
Getting a Monarch Series 61 Back in Service

If you post some pics it might help.

It's usually cotton waste packing. I've used cotton twine as a replacement, not sure how correct that was. You could probably replace it with a felt. I couldn't find anything with a search.

I used 100% cotton twine to fill the well in my 10EE. It is used to direct most of the oil to a drip path at the top of the well, while allowing oil to be available to a drip path at the bottom. Otherwise any oil would go out the lower drip path and starve any upper drip paths.

I remembered I put a picture up. Post #16.

Apron oil pump question

When I take the apron apart again (if ever) I'll add more twine. I am losing oil out of my apron through the worm gear dripper, which is the bottom oil drip. Even with this much twine, a lot more oil gets to the bottom dripper than needed. And, the hole in the worm dripper tube is probably a #60 bit, would be hard to make it smaller.

Back