What's new
What's new

18BB Monarch Parts

ajclay

Aluminum
I have a bunch of extra parts. Taper attachment, apron, gear box, just through away the carriage. Steady Reast.... It will all be discarded over the next month unless someone speaks up.. AJ

email: [email protected], PM me, or even call: 225-926-9562

Unfortunately I don't have a use, but I'd think someone would. If no one here volunteers why not put them on ebay for a minimal charge (no shipping must pick up if you don't want to deal with it)? I got my band saw like that it was $1 buy it now on ebay.

Would probably keep it from getting melted down anyway.

Paul

There's an 18bb likely to sell soon on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/monarch-lathe-/170721972872?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item27bfd29288#ht_500wt_1215

Looks like it doesn't have a taper, you could follow this and sell parts to the winner? Or seller if it doesn't meet the reserve?

That's a good idea, but the lathe from the link above does have a taper attachment...

I could easily put it on a pallet and ship it by truck for someone. Not a problem. The parts may not be worth the shipping costs is the problem. I'm looking to help someone out and not really make a bunch of money.

I didn't have any help on parts when I needed them. I know it tough to find parts for these old lathes....

Spread the word, someone out there is looking for these parts!!

I don't mind taking photos and measuremnts either....

Aj

[email protected] 225-926-9562

Parts

Here are a couple of photos...

Attachments

• apron 2.jpg
    apron 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 985
  • apron 3.jpg
    apron 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 396
  • apron.jpg
    apron.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 530
  • compound 2.jpg
    compound 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 399
  • compound.jpg
    compound.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 353
Photos

More Photos of the parts

Attachments

• gear box 2.jpg
    gear box 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 279
  • gear box 3.jpg
    gear box 3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 308
  • gear box.jpg
    gear box.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 301
  • stedy rest 2.jpg
    stedy rest 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 362
  • stedy rest.jpg
    stedy rest.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 349
Taper Attachment

parts for the taper attachment....

Attachments

• taper 2.jpg
    taper 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 362
  • taper 3.jpg
    taper 3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 342
  • taper 4.jpg
    taper 4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 276
  • taper.jpg
    taper.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 765
Apron Photos

Apron photos, a lot of good parts...

Attachments

• apron 2.jpg
    apron 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 264
  • apron 3.jpg
    apron 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 386
  • apron.jpg
    apron.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 337
18 CBB Parts

The steady is gone, oil pump in apron and way wipers. The rest is still on the pallet. There has to be someone that's looking for these parts. January 1st they go to the scrap yard.... Thanks, Aj

The steady is gone, oil pump in apron and way wipers. The rest is still on the pallet. There has to be someone that's looking for these parts. January 1st they go to the scrap yard.... Thanks, Aj

AJ,

Sent you a note off list. I will take the t/a parts if we can work out a deal.

Thanks,

Steve Kadisak

Looking for Apron for CBB lathe

Apron photos, a lot of good parts...

We have a CBB Monarch built 6/1942. Having issue with the apron handwheel moving the saddle/slide. Something is worn, gear or bearing. Would like to find replacement apron to reduce downtime when we switch over.

Apron looks just like these photos from AJCLAY post from long ago.

Tom

We have a CBB Monarch built 6/1942. Having issue with the apron handwheel moving the saddle/slide. Something is worn, gear or bearing. Would like to find replacement apron to reduce downtime when we switch over.

Apron looks just like these photos from AJCLAY post from long ago.

Tom

Finding a complete apron might prove difficult. Finding one that does not need maintenance or repair might be even trickier.

Best bet in my opinion is to go through yours, and you'll probably only have do it once.

Finding a complete apron might prove difficult. Finding one that does not need maintenance or repair might be even trickier.

Best bet in my opinion is to go through yours, and you'll probably only have do it once.

Thanks,
Wanted to start here after seeing the photos of a replacement apron above. We are wiling to do some repair on a replacement before swapping out. Hoping to reduce down time on this machine.

Thanks,
Wanted to start here after seeing the photos of a replacement apron above. We are wiling to do some repair on a replacement before swapping out. Hoping to reduce down time on this machine.

I did a google search as you probably already have done finding this old Practical Machinist thread.

First find out if the apron from other models would interchange.. Maybe that would widen the search of online parts ; I'm not familiar with the model.
A manual is the first thing you need if you don't have one.

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model "BB" 18" Helical-geared lathe | VintageMachinery.org

Don't know if this link pertains to your model.
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Type "B" Heavy Duty 20" Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

This link is a source of other old Monarch literature that may help.
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Last edited:
In the first link the literature describing the apron it appears that your apron has a built in oil pump. Monarch used this system on various models. That pump not only distributes oil to the apron but also the carriage and compound slide.
The pumps have a somewhat complex distribution system. The require service on older lathes due to clogged filter worn cam arms , stuck valves and clogged oil lines.
Rebuilding an apron prior to shutdown is a good step but the carriage oil lines may need servicing also.

This lathe is operating making parts . Be sure and manually oil the ways and parts like the leadscrews. Your feed clutches also get oiled from the internal pump.
You may soon have new wear issues without that pump system working.
Especially if its running daily
Oil everything good . Fill the reservoir in the apron to the sight glass line.

Google ; [ Monarch apron oiling.]
You will get hits about it on the Practical Machinist forum. Not necessariily on your model lathe but they used the system on many models.

I'm basing the internal pump information because in this link below it says that the [ apron is automatically oiled.]
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model "BB" 18" Helical-geared lathe | VintageMachinery.org
It could be a different system than I described above.
Information on your model is scarce.

Back