What's new
What's new

1940 10EE w/sundstrand value

Lekarne

Plastic
About what's the value of a 1940 10EE tool room round dial with the sundstrand hydro pump? All works, leaks, doesn't want to go over 900 rpm. Has the taper attachment, it's there but the rod isn't connected, pushed up in it. Plate and numbers on ways match up. Just looking for a ballpark estimate. May sell, may trade for a more modern tool room lathe. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I wasn't gonna touch this, because the real answer is what the market will bear today. If you ask those A-holes from American pickers tv show, they'd overvalue it and offer you a 100 G's and destroy the market for us users for the next 10 years. That's the problem with old equipment. Its one mans trash and another's treasure. You may want to just research some of the sites like Ebay and craiglist. I look on Craiglist in the New England and north east as well as mid west areas where there is plenty of machine tool stuff out there. It sells at a decent price. Down in here Fl the same stuff can be double. I saw a unit like yours sell in VT a few weeks ago for 1200 bucks. In CA it may go for 6000. Hope this helps .. Don

Like any 10EE, it all has to do with condition and what the buyer is looking for and how much work you are willing to put into it to give a good description. From the description you gave, it might be a candidate for restoration, it might require a powerplant replacement, the ways might be worn and it needs a rebuild, or maybe it is ready for the scrap heap. The taper attachment is a nice feature, but it cannot be used on any later model 10EE, the design was changed after the Sundstrand machines to the later design. The cross slide screw telescopes, so it normally can be pushed up into the dial assembly part. There is a key and keyway that keeps the two parts rotating together. There are also a pair of lock nuts that have to be tightened or not depending on whether the lathe is setup to use the taper attachment or not.

If it helps, I bought mine for 2700. Currently my top end speed is near that. But I bought is based off the assumption that I might have to put a motor in it & do away with the sundstrand. For me it was worth it.

Why you ask, well it came with the through hole 5C collet chuck, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, BXA tool post & about a dozen tool holders. I also happen to have a 3Hp 3 phase motor & couple VFD’s laying around. So for a physically sound machine, IE ways, spindle, etc.

I dont think it is actually going to come to that though for me. I’m going to pull the drive system out & further test it. There will be pictures of it as well.

If it helps, I bought mine for 2700. Currently my top end speed is near that. But I bought is based off the assumption that I might have to put a motor in it & do away with the sundstrand. For me it was worth it.

Why you ask, well it came with the through hole 5C collet chuck, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, BXA tool post & about a dozen tool holders. I also happen to have a 3Hp 3 phase motor & couple VFD’s laying around. So for a physically sound machine, IE ways, spindle, etc.

I dont think it is actually going to come to that though for me. I’m going to pull the drive system out & further test it. There will be pictures of it as well.
Before you do anything like replacing the drive system measure the area you need to put the new drive in as the space is smaller than a non-HD 10EE.

Before you do anything like replacing the drive system measure the area you need to put the new drive in as the space is smaller than a non-HD 10EE.

Good advice. I have done some measuring in my Sundstrand machine's motor compartment, and I think I could get a later DC motor with 2-spd gearbox in if it was positioned all the way to the back of the compartment (rather than centered) so that the far end of the motor actually poked into the opening for the coolant pump cavity. But I am not sure how well that would work for routing the v-belts. To be sure I would need to pull the Sundstrand drive and mock it up.

Had to sell my Sundstrand last summer, got $1800 and I had to do some work on the pump so the hard part was done. Bed had minimal wear, sloppy cross feed but overall pretty decent for 80 years old. As stated the Sundstrand is a bit slimmer than the later design. Don’t let the Sundstrand pump scare you as I thought I was facing a loosing battle but with the help of this forum I got’r done.
Cheers Z

Back