What's new
What's new

1942 10ee

ben8138

Plastic
Can anyone tell me what the small belt does?Mine has No belt on it now. It's also been rigged to run on 120 volt. Will only turn up to 400rpm. Has original motor in it that's hooked to transmission. Mg motor is gone. Hope to do. Vfd conversion. Any recommendations on 3hp or 5hp. Thanks Ben

Hi Ben! There is a small belt that turns the oil pump. Is it the one shown below? I've actually got the wrong belt on there, but the load is not high.

oil drive belt.jpg

There are lots of threads on the forum about VFD conversions. There are also alternatives. My favorite is Macona’s conversion using a brushless servo motor: Retrofit of 10EE Drive to AC Brushless Servo Motor. (It should be a sticky)

Another option is using a DC power supply and retaining the original motor. E.g. lathehand’s conversion using a GE DC300: GE DC Drive or Beel’s conversion kit: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...tate-dc-drive-retrofit-297717/?highlight=Beal

But to answer your question, don’t even consider a 3HP VFD. 5HP VFD might work, it depends on how much low end slow speed torque you want. Monarch uses a 10HP motor for its conversions...

The GE DC300 drives were sold right here on this forum a few years back. Lathehand is the only one I know who actually did the conversion, and he invested in a GE consulting engineer’s time to get all the parameters right. It is a sweet setup. Several others, myself included, bought the DC drives just in case. I don’t think I will ever use mine for the reason stated: the motor compartment on the Sundstrand machine is not long enough to fit a DC motor with attached 2-speed gearbox. Once I have the 59 running, I will sell the GE DC300.

The Sundstrand machine might fit the right 3ph motor with attached gearbox, but it would require some diligent search to find one short enough. I’ve seen some short pump motors on some of the local farms, so I am keeping my eyes open. I have a 10HP Baldor non-C-face motor and a Reliant 10HP VFD sourced on the cheap from Ebay, just in case. I think the low end performance of that combination would probably be better than the Sundstrand.

Thanks guys for all the feed back. I got a lot to learn. Not to knowledge on electric motors and drives. We're in the water well busniess, vfd pumps that we use are simple applications. I should have some time to do some research with New York closing down for 2 weeks. Thanks again stay healthy everyone. Ben

Back