What's new
What's new

1942 10EE - What is it worth? -Useable?

ISUWIZ

Plastic
Hello All, new member here.

I am the engineering and manufacturing manager of a small farm equipment manufacturer, and in our efforts to tidy up and organize our manufacturing space, the owner(s) wanted to get rid of an old lathe an employee purchased for the company to use 5 years ago, just before I began working for the company. I never paid much attention to it, as it has been under a tarp since that time and I knew it was not operational. When I first got the go-ahead to move it down the road, I figured it maybe was only worth scrap price. But after doing a little research, it seems these machines have a great reputation and quite a following!

The employee that purchased the lathe no longer works with us, and after contacting him, it seems he is more interested in selling the lathe rather than moving it again. I mentioned that our machinest might be interested in it, and he said to just have him "send a check for what he thinks its worth".

What I have gathered, is that it is a 1942 10EE (20") model, which has been converted to a 3PH VFD controlled 5hp motor. I don't know much about lathes, so apologies if I don't know the technical terms for things. In addition to the placard with the model/serial#/mfgdate, it has a brass tag with "E.V. 1674". What does that mean?

Any ideas what a fair price might be? I know a lot depends on whether or not it runs...But we don't really have a good way to test it out, and it looks like the VFD and fuse box were removed when it was moved. I also noticed it must have been tipped over on its front at one time, since a few of the levers are bent (which from my research isn't uncommon).

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_173230187.jpg
    IMG_20191113_173230187.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20191113_173257319.jpg
    IMG_20191113_173257319.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20191113_173728528.jpg
    IMG_20191113_173728528.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20191113_125231986.jpg
    IMG_20191113_125231986.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20191113_173028644.jpg
    IMG_20191113_173028644.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 193
I'm struggling thinking its worth any more that $1K This is a rough example after a quick look see of the pictures. Worth more in parts.

Poor thing's had a hard time. The bent pin in the leadscrew smacks of shoddy maintenance and the pics aren't great but there seems to be a visible ridge at the top of the vee way. The bent handles look like shoddy handling rather than a tip-over IMHO.

That said, the taper attachment is valuable and other bits not so common. If you took those off it'd still be worth a grand IMO.

If one looks deeper, a little past the rust,bent hand crank and the nail in the feed rod...I will say a few things I see,
Notice the edges around the saddle, crosslide, the lines around the compound or top slide. all sharp, not rolled over. Little nick or two on the edge of the compounds tool slot. Other areas that are shown, aluminum knob, feed dials, legend plate, all lookin pretty crisp.
Machines that have had a lot of steel run through them, the edges of the saddle get dinged and start to round over, the machine above, even the corners are crisp on the saddle.
The next thing I would look at is the inside facing surface of the outer V way, near the chuck, the most way wear will be there. I would think the wear is not that bad.
The edges on the chucks are crisp, low hours!
I am dealing with a mill that has worse rust, but low use, there can be a lot of hidden damage on old machines that makes them a gamble, and a project, keeping the price low.

To ISUWIZ:
If you remove the end panels and covers on the base of the lathe, and take and post photos, we can tell a little better what will be needed to bring the lathe back up to operational status..
Under the headstock will be the spindle-drive motor and the belt drive setup.
Behind the middle front panel would normally be the AC motor that drives the Generator and the Exciter. On the side of the AC motor normally is a large connection box .
Under the tailstock, on the very end of the lathe-base will be the cover over the generator and belt driven exciter.

A lathe that has had a VFD conversion usually has many variables as to how the VFD conversion was done, now neat and orderly the wiring is, how the new boxes are mounted and how the new motor is mounted and how it drives the spindle.
All of these items have a bearing on what the lathe is worth as it sits..

DualValve

Back