What's new
What's new

1946 10ee

I just picked it up a few weeks ago, I talked to the last two people to operate it and they could not answer, so, any idea what this box is /and does?

Attachments

• 100_3003.jpg
    100_3003.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_3001.jpg
    100_3001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 309
Cant help you with what it actually is. But the machine is 70 years old. When I was looking at machines I saw one early round dial with a similar box in the back - had zero effect on anything. I did not investigate further, I suspect it was not even hooked to anything when I was looking at it - that particular machine would not spin above about 500rpm and the owner at the time was fine with that......

Open it up and take a picture of what's actually inside, also not if it is actually hooked to the current electricals (if they are functional).
Paul

All the parts are there and the machine was operational when it was disconnected in Nov 2015 I was thinking it was a Potentiometer for additional control but I am not sure. The hard conduit for the wiring makes me think it's factory installed.

Attachments

• 100_3013.jpg
    100_3013.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 210
I was noticing you have what looks like a transformer mounted above the motor. My lathe does not have that either. My fused disconnect is mounted in the spot where the box is on your lathe. Could it be the main power connect point?

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 140
From the knob, it is probably attached to another rheostat, used to set the reverse speed when using the leadscrew reverse.
The numbers by the pointer are probably spindle speed, since the tach only works in forward.

Post a pic of the open box to solve the mystery.

Bill

From the knob, it is probably attached to another rheostat, used to set the reverse speed when using the leadscrew reverse.
The numbers by the pointer are probably spindle speed, since the tach only works in forward.

Post a pic of the open box to solve the mystery.

Bill
Could be for a rapid reverse speed does it have else?

Here are the pictures of the electronics.

Attachments

• 100_3030.jpg
    100_3030.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_3026.jpg
    100_3026.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_3027.jpg
    100_3027.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 203
The machine came well documented.

Attachments

• 100_3021.jpg
    100_3021.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_3023.jpg
    100_3023.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_3031.jpg
    100_3031.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_3032.jpg
    100_3032.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_3022.jpg
    100_3022.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 174
Boy this is a long shot, those electronics look amazing like the Keller Tracer attachment that my Monarch has. It could just be that they are very close in time period. I wonder if any 10 ee came with tracers?..............

Tim

A friend mentioned tracer last night as a possibility, I don't see it listed as an option in the manual, but then again I don't see potentiometer (or whatever it is) mentioned.

looks similar to the rheostat that controls the forward speed (chain driven one onside the base), so my guess is its for adjustable reverse speed as others have said.

Post a picture of the front of the machine - does it have ELSR?
Congrats on the documentation - looks like you even have the original monarch inspection sheet for the machine. This may mean you have more detail in the schematic blueprints. Your going to want to post pictures of the schematic prints, these could help.

Electronics/electrical are not my area of expertise, but as you have probably gathered plenty of knowledgeable people on here.
Paul

Nice - looks like you have an accumulator readout on the carriage handwheel - I believe these are quite rare.
Paul

The black knob on the box at the back of your 46 Monarch
is like the one on my machine of the same year. A cleaver
device for sure. You can use this feature when cutting
threads. First you have to properly set all the knobs and
levers for threading. Now the fun begins. Engage the half
nuts and when you reach the end of your cut back out the
tool and raise the lever that reverses the spindle leaving
the half nuts engaged. The spindle reversing speed can be
adjusted via the that black knob which also reverses the
speed of the lead screw. So the saddle can rapid back to
the starting point. Set the compound screw stop and zero,
with the little knob on the side and this makes for some
quick threading without needing to watch the thread dial.
For long threads still use the dial as usually done.
spaeth

Spaeth's confirmation is that it is the variable speed option for the ELSR feature.

If you don't know what ELSR is yet - search on it here. Bunch of mechanisms that turn off the spindle when it hits a stop. Allows accurate threading to a fraction of a turn of the spindle. The variable reverse lets you have a faster reverse speed so you can get back to the start quicker.

Paul

Back