What's new
What's new

1949 10EE in Seattle

Peter Miles

Cast Iron
Two Seattle-area 10EE sales on the same day - Wow!

I didn't get the one that was on CraigsList yesterday, although I did try.

Today I bought a 1949-model 10EE at an auction at George Washington Machinery. It is definitely not pristine but will hopefully serve me well as my first lathe.

Here are a few pictures to provide a little starting info:

(The photos are stored on MetalMeet.com, another list that I frequent. Let me know if they don't display here without being logged into that site.).

It has all of the covers, ways didn't look too bad at first glance. Quite a bit of backlash, however.

10EE-Data-Plate-4---1.jpg

It was initially advertised as having a solid-state controller, but when I took off the covers it appeared to have a newish, rebuilt, or possibly just cleaned and painted motor generator unit on the tailstock end of the machine and an original-looking open frame motor on the headstock end.

This rheostat is on the back on the machine, not the most convenient location for access. I presume that this is the speed control, but I'll have to go back and read all the motor-generator threads. I'll also call Monarch in the morning and get a manual.

There is a Taiwanese 3-jaw chuck on the machine plus a fairly nice looking 4-jaw and another 3-jaw that was covered in dried mud that came with the machine. No taper attachment. There seem to be more than the normal complement of levers on the saddle - is this some early generation ELSR-type configuration?

Tomorrow I'm going to go back and pick it up with a tilt trailer behind my 2002 GMC 2500 HD Sierra. I have forklift access on both ends of the trip plus an A-frame hoist at home if my 4,000 pound capacity forklift doesn't have the reach/capacity combination to lift the lathe over the trailer wheelwells.

It is about 180 miles away. Trailer rental is only $65.00 for the day. Getting a flat tire today (new tire - ruined) while on I-90 just pass Snoqualmie Pass really convinced me that carrying the lathe in the bed would be a really bad idea.

Looks like one heck of a deal.

That it standard square dial ELSR.

Wonder what the heck that knob on the back is for. It will be interesting to see when you pop it open.

Thats interesting Peter, I had been trying to get over there, but I am not in the market for another one.
They have had that on their web site for awhile, described as converted, solid state or whatever, but they never have known anything about EEs, even though they have them often.
Yes, thats ELSR equipped, that reostat is? The speed control and reostat should be the lower left round knob in the center of the open belt/backgear lever, with the reostat iself inside the motor compartment at the left end.
Keep posting!

Congrats Peter. Let me know if you need any help with unloading, or maybe you'll need a few simple parts fabbed to get things working. I'm just a few miles away from LFP.

Regards.

Finegrain

Back