1950 60 series 14inch info - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whether placed vertically, as in the photo, or placed side-by-side, the overall function is identical.

Two identical magnetic motor starters, less their overloads, are mechanically interconnected through a linkage which prevents simultaneous selection of forward and reverse, and which would cause a short circuit if this had not been prevented.

Electrical interlocks could, theoretically, do this job, but practical interlocks still had a non-zero probability of simultaneous selection, so the mechanical interlock was provided, and the electrical interlock was removed as a cost savings.

However, the individual starters are otherwise identical.

Now, the input of the starters is L1 to A, L2 to B, and L3 to C, but the output of the starters is A to R or T, B to S, and C to T or R.

Finally, overloads, two of these, are inserted in R and T; S has no overload in these pre-OSHA magnetic motor starters.

In the Monarch implementation, R, S, and T are wired directly to the motor's T1, T2, and T3; a right-angle fixture replaces the motor's connection box.

Inside the motor's end bell, the usual 230/460 voltage accommodation is made.

The output of the controller is always T1, T2, and T3, but:

1) the T10, T11, and T12 "star point" remains as usual, and

2) for 460 volts, T4 is connected to T7, T5 is connected to T8, and T6 is connected to T9, whereas

3) for 230 volts, T4, T5, and T6 are connected together as a second "star point", while T7 is connected to T1, T8 is connected to T2, and T9 is connected to T3.

2. Likes joebass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That machine looks exactly like the one I just bought except 16x54. If the motor is dual voltage ( even if not ) it is a non issue as starters and motors can be found cheap. It is a Series 60 Engine lathe. do you know the speed range? That will also tell you the motor rpm. Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Joe,
    I ended up buying this machine form them. The guy I was dealing with did tell me somebody else was looking at it but the 480 volt was an issue. It's nice machine, I like it.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark,
    Now that you finally have this heavy iron in and running, you need to start a post to see if anyone has the parts to complete the rest of this relieving attachment, maybe the original owner? I know we've already talked about this, but sometimes there are lurkers here that know way more than many of us and all they need is a push. When you do come up with these components I'll stop by and put them to use...
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you negotiate to have the transformer included? You know it works and they may not have a use for it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, I didn't need the transformers for this machine.

I'm running this machine on a 240 single phase through a frequency drive. The drive is for a 5 hp. motor, but this machine has a 7.5 hp. It will trip out on the higher RPM if you clutch it too hard. So far, it has been working pretty well on my old set up from my previous machine. With this set up you can avoid the machines original electrical stuff and control it with a start/ stop switch. I also wired in a reversing switch along with a 10K rheostat for a variable speed option. It's a pretty neat set up!!

Luckily, the motor had 9 leads and I was able to connect it for low voltage. I was kind of sweating chips until I removed the J-box cover to see how many leads were coming out of the motor. Sometimes when motors are rewound the shop will only bring out 3 leads for 480 volts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on finding what looks like a nice Series 60. I have one (using it today) and they are fantastic machines.

Mine was in the same boat. It was factory wired as a 480v machine with a dual voltage motor. I was able to rewire the motor to 240V and add a 480v control voltage transformer to keep the original gear in place. Works like a champ and only took minimal effort to make it happy.