What's new
What's new

1950 Monarch 10EE (metric) for auction Berkeley Ca

It was me, I bought it... Sorry not bragging $2,660 winning bid $3,211 after taxes and fees. $730 shipping to WA.

It's always been a dream to find one that is affordable and hopefully not used in an industrial or production environment. It's 70 years old so who knows but it looks good in pictures. I'll know when I see it next week. Cal Berkeley is my favorite school by far, I have a long history working with various biotech and molecular labs on campus so it makes it that much more meaningful to me.

So what's this about Metric gears? Is there a set for metric vs english gears that I need to change for feed control? It did mention that there is a shatter (spindle bearing?) but in working order.

It was me, I bought it... Sorry not bragging $2,660 winning bid $3,211 after taxes and fees. $730 shipping to WA.

It's always been a dream to find one that is affordable and hopefully not used in an industrial or production environment. It's 70 years old so who knows but it looks good in pictures. I'll know when I see it next week. Cal Berkeley is my favorite school by far, I have a long history working with various biotech and molecular labs on campus so it makes it that much more meaningful to me.

So what's this about Metric gears? Is there a set for metric vs english gears that I need to change for feed control? It did mention that there is a shatter (spindle bearing?) but in working order.

congrats! I looked for a I/M unit for a long time before I ended up settling for a round dial. There doesn’t. Seem to be many 10EEs here in the PNW

Congratulations. Since the link is no longer working I did not see any photos of your lathe. Since it is a 1950 it is a square dial, and metric threading requires a set of change gears. The change gears are available, do some searches on the forum or check on ebay. There are two sets of change gears, one for round dial and one for square dial, and they are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the right one.

Thanks Rim and Grant, I'm sure there is a learning curve but that's part of the fun. What a great resource this forum is with the knowledge base.

I wonder which shop it came out of. The physics department machine shop has a 10EE, don't think this was it. This one looked like the hand lever collet closer mounts to a rigid arm that curves around from the back of the headstock. Cal physics department's had a different sort of mount. I know this because I once went in to see how their collet closer worked as I was trying to sort out some stuff about the hand lever collet closer on my 10EE. Not sure the year of their machine; it was a square dial, motor-generator drive. Also had a tag that said "Property of the Atomic Energy Commission."

In addition to the physics department there are several other departmental machine shops: Chemistry department/College of Chemistry, civil engineering, I'm sure mechanical engineering, School of Optometry; there was one in Life Sciences Building. Probably more. And of course Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory up on the hill has a very large machine shop. Suspect all these separate shops give the University bean counters a s**t hemorrhage. The physics department shop is easy to see, it's on the lower level of the building formerly known as LeConte Hall.

Not affiliated with the University, I used to work nearby. Haven't been back on campus much since I retired in 2006. Well I was class of '66. As I like to say that was a bad year to run out your student deferment...

David

Last edited:
Shared album - V O - Google Photos

Here is a picture posted in the auction. Hopefully the link works. It would be interesting to know where this 10ee was used. I'm amazed at how much equipment is on universities in hidden spaces. I remember asking a crowed DNA sequencing lab at Cal about where their multi million dollar next generation sequencers live. They were so short on space that they were running them in hallway closets.

At the University of Washington I use to walk in and use the machine shop in the basement of the Chemistry department. I was never questioned for years and in fact had people ask me for help as if I worked there. Amazing what doors a $20 school logo t-shirt from the bookstore will open.

Really class of '66...I bet you have some great stories!

It has a collet closer which is nice and not too usual.

It also leaks oil, but I think they all do. I have to add a little to mine everytime I use it.

I can't tell from the picture but I think it has the big dial with the second dial that moves every quarter of an inch which is really nice.

I think you will like your lathe a lot. Polish the racing stripes, I intend to do that on mine, one day, very soon

Back