What's new
What's new

1951 Navy 10ee # 36764

Glug

Hot Rolled
With some luck and good weather, I will be picking up a 1951 10EE on Friday from HGR. It is a former Navy machine, and it is the machine I have been asking about.

When I looked over the machine a couple weeks ago, I didn't have nearly enough time to do a complete inspection. I'll be giving it a good check. The Navy had it retrofitted with a DC drive, the MG is gone. I'm not sure if that rebuild included a bed grind.

The machine came in with 7 other 10EE's. It was among the last three. The other two were heavily salvaged for parts - cross slides, compounds, tailstocks, and even the DC drive boxes were empty. My machine has a complete DC drive, but it did not have a tailstock. That was sourced from one of the other two, making a complete machine. That is, until someone stole the cross slide crank (the vandal took the handle!), carriage stop, and the spindle pulley cover knob. The knob cam is broken, and I suspect that may have happened when forks were slide under the covers. I sure hope the covers weren't damaged.

When a machine is selected as an 'organ donor', there is generally a reason. It's broken in some way, etc. For that reason, I am particularly concerned that there may be some lurking serious issue with this machine. Though taking just the tailstock is not a big harvest..

I am prepping for my trip and don't have the time to inline these photos. If you see anything that catches your eye, or is a concern, please bring it to my attention. My list of general concerns follow. If anyone would like to volunteer a phone number for key questions that arise during my inspection, it would be much appreciated.

10ee_8983373037d55024cb4a_22.jpg

Concerns:

- Apparent rust drips and stains at controls and seams. Being ex-Navy, it could be due to salt exposure? Machine possibly washed, or just condensation? With water in the seams, is everything rusted tight? I don't have any experience with this.
- There is no tach, though there is a sensor and digital tach
- There is no fwd/reverse lever. I would want to restore that.
- My later photos make it looks like someone polished the spindle since the early photos. It looks more shiny, and I see some radial marks on the face. It could just be the flash. That often happens.

- Gearbox oil levels are very low. What I could see looked clean. I'm guessing it leaked out. Maybe there is some water in there. This is a big concern, and I need to carefully check the spindle, etc. Serious spindle issues, etc, would be on my list of possible showstoppers. Suggestions appreciated.

- I notice the spindle bearing preload adjustment collar notches appear a bit beat up. Not entirely unexpected, I guess. Especially if adjusted in place.
- I still need to test all the gears and feeds
- Lots of little dings in the top of the compound and on top of the left apron. Someone used those surfaces as an anvil, a zillion times, and rather seriously. Maybe tapping in an expansion pin? Someone shoulda got KP for that, for a year! While annoying, I'm not sure this is an issue. Urgency of wartime, and all that.
- In my photos it almost looks like the headstock end of the leadscrew is rusty. That wasn't my impression when I saw it. It could just be grunge.
- Anyone who has read about the challenges of DC controller retrofits would be concerned about that aspect. My hope is that a DoD retrofit would be good. I do see a field collapse detection circuit. I did not have time to study or diagram the controller. It is based on a Fincor 2601. The large Acme transformer is a 480 > 240, so perhaps it can be run on 240. Though the main legs do not immediately go there. That Fincor is single phase.
- Probably need to fit the tailstock, since it is from another machine. The TS adjustment nuts were tight and I did not have time to adjust them, clean it, and install it. I moved it from precarious edge of the drip pan to the bottom of the pan.
- Not unexpected, the sump was full of liquid. Looked like water and it seemed translucent. I only glanced - that was low priority.

From the original photos, I thought this machine had an accumulating cross slide dial. However, looking at the pics from my visit, it looks very different to me and not just a missing handle. Am I seeing a difference?

Pre-purchase:

5a8098fa2cfdace2e14f_1.jpg

p_002.jpg

Post-purchase:

4c7738add6cd6bd00d72.jpg

5a8098fa2cfdace2e14f_3.jpg

No, somebody swapped out the whole thing.

I've seen that happen before. When I buy a machine I like to do it in one visit, no fooling around, and this is one of the reasons...

That is a substantial reduction in value, probably $4-500, so good luck negotiating a partial refund from HGR.

Its interesting there is no tachometer...at first I thought it was a TFB-manufacturing lathe, but its an ELSR with leadscrew (good!)

Looks to be in decent shape, there's always the "return to HGR no questions asked". If you can get the Fincor working and its OK, excellent, otherwise I'd recommend going VFD.

I have a Fincor drive in my 10EE and is a well done conversion. My lathe came from a Delco plant but, I understand there were many government 10EE's with Fincor drives. The parts look a bit different in your machine but the field loss relay is the same. Your lathe has a three HP motor and I believe it is not compound wound as the later 5 HP motors were.

Good luck and I would have a few words to HGR about that crossfeed dial!

Steve

The parts look a bit different in your machine but the field loss relay is the same. Your lathe has a three HP motor and I believe it is not compound wound as the later 5 HP motors were.

It might be useful to sketch out the schematics and note the differences. I don't yet know the significance of the compound winding difference.

Good luck and I would have a few words to HGR about that crossfeed dial!

The issue has been raised and I am awaiting a response. I tend to think if it was outright stolen then the thief would not have bothered to install the replacement dial. This looks more like a swap with one of the other EE's that came in.

Back