What's new
What's new

1952 10EE with MG drive?

Aaron B

Aluminum
I have a lead on a potential 10ee. Still awaiting pictures, but the owner is 99% certain it's a 1952 model.

He says it has a 550v mg setup. From what I've read here Monarch switched to the wiad in 1949. Just wondering, if it's truly a 1952 machine was the mg a later replacement for a failed wiad unit, or could it have been the factory solution for 550v needs even after the changeover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MG drive was an option from Monarch well into the 50's. A lot of the EEs ordered by the Navy in the 50's seem to have been MG units (ironic considering that the C16J's would have been pretty common on Navy ships).

Ok, that makes sense. I imagine some folks weren't keen to use new fangled technology, hence the continuation of the MG. Perhaps a cost difference as well?

If it's a 550 VAC machine, it was probably sold to a Canadian company and those MGs are typically single voltage. Not a great choice for a home shop machine, since you can't run it from 240 single phase without an expensive transformer.

Cal

Supposedly it comes with a transformer, so that might not be a major hurdle. The main hurdle is distance, and my uncertainly about if I should wait for an inch/metric, etc.

Here's the tag picture I just received.
68aae936d06253e45d4cc70edd01db92.jpg

Is the GE tag for the electrical and controls, or a GE asset tag?

Seems that H.A. Smith might've been located in Syracuse.

I've heard that a lot of paper mills used 550v.

A close coupled MG set sure would be nice in light of the 550v situation.

This is the only other picture I have so far.
67a6d6125e1fa6fff542ce9ffa35a831.jpg

The current owner bought it some years ago, gave it a coat of paint, and did nothing more with it. He's not sure of the mechanical condition. There's a faceplate and three jaw chuck. It has the taper attachment.

It's far enough away that if I hook up the truck and trailer I am committed. I guess for $1200 if it's totally clapped I could part it out to recover a few bucks. Sure would be nice if there was someone nearby that was competent to check it out.

When you see a EE for 1200 bucks you email saying 'when do I pick it up' not fret about what its condition is. If it is a rust ball, you politely refuse to tow it home

The internet age has sped up many things, negotiation is one of them

I can't just drop everything and make a two day road trip at the drop of a hat, not good for continued employment or marital bliss.

The seller has someone local that wants it. They have a roll-back truck. If I bought it he'd have to load it.

I'm sure there'll be others. Just a matter of finding one that the seller doesn't think is worth it's weight in framing lumber!

As Aaron knows, that was my lathe, indeed sold locally. At that price I've rec'd all kinds of response, still receiving. Perhaps I should have priced it a little higher.

I had to paint it when I received it, as it was fluorescent green, very bright and hard to look at. I never used the machine, was too ambitious to have it, then used other, perfectly good machines (I like Weilers, have three, at l;east one for sale, as a project) and the Monarch was never taken off the hardwood cradle I made for it and just took up space for I am embarrassed to say how many years.

I believe the lathe was used in one of GE's plants in Schenectady. There's nothing too odd about 550 volts, many large plants used this, not just in Canada but here, too. I forget where I got the transformer that goes with the machine, but it was cheap. Oh, I think that was the one from Harpswell, Maine, from a little shop, $50. Of course I never tried it but it was quite likely to work. (I did buy and use a 440 transformer on other machines, and I believe that transformer was $100.)

I'm old enough that I love the idea of the prospective buyer hiring the roll back for the move (that;'s how I moved it those years ago.

Aaron may have wanted this lathe and he would have been capable of renovating it, but he was not in as good a position to buy it as the locals, it would have been a bigger decision for him.

Back