What's new
What's new

1943 10EE with Reliance VS drive

Cal Haines

Diamond
This is my first time here, I hope someone can help me out. I'm trying to get a 1943 10EE with the Reliance VS drive up and running. Best information is that the machine was set up for 440V. (Based on what little is known of it's history and fact that it was set up with 10A fuses.) The machine would not respond with 240V power. With 440 the M/G started briefly, ran for a few seconds without sounding like it was in distress, then blew 2 out of 3 of the fuses. The only source of 440 is a transformer that is actually providing about 500V on two of the phases, so this may be what blew the fuses?

Can anyone tell me if the machine can be rewired for 220? Both the plates on the MG and the controller box are marked 220/440, but there is really no information on how to make the switch. The plate on the MG shows how to set the connections for 220/440, but I can't find the terminal block. Any idea where it is located? The schematic inside the controller case indicates that there is a transformer (again, I'm not sure where it is located). Also there is no information that I have found that indicates how to change the controller from 440 to 220.

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it! (I called Monarch and talked to Steve, but he wasn't able to help me.)

Any comments on this drive? Apparently the only parts available from Monarch are brushes for the DC motor.

Any suggestion on getting this old girl running?

Thanks in advance!

Cal

Thanks for all the help guys.

It turned out that some idiot had put a 440V contactor on the machine and 440-style 10A fuses (right for 440V) on the machine, but left the motor wired for 220V. The contactor would not close on 220V and 440V was too much juice and blew the fuses. I bypassed the contactor and she fired right up. Purrs like a kitten!

Cal

Back