What's new
What's new

1954 10EE Starting Question

jreiland

Aluminum
I did my due diligence before posting this question by first searching for a previous answer, with no luck.
I have a 1954 10EE with the MG drive running on a new 10HP RPC. When starting the machine I have to hold start button for a few seconds before the motor starts, while I’m doing this I can hear what I assume is the main contactor clicking. Is this normal operation?

Thanks in advance for the help

Jon

Since this is a new installation, insure that the manufactured phase does not power the main contactor coil.
The main contactor is located under the cover at the back of the headstock.

As Donie posted, the holding contact may be dirty.
Also the contact on the reset button along with the start and stop buttons may be contributing to the problem.

Bill

If you hear the contactor clicking multiple times, it is not normal. As hitandmiss says, if you have the contactor on the manufactured phase, the starting load will pull the voltage down, the contactor will release, the voltage will rise, the contactor will pull in, da capo al fine. Probably each iteration starts the motor turning a little until it gets up to a speed that will not pull the voltage down to the contactor release point.

Bill

Back