What's new
What's new

1954 Series 61 Rapid Traverse not working, adjustment maybe?

RustedFriend

Plastic
I didn't fully understand how the traverse was supposed to be working on my lathe until yesterday :P But rereading through the catalog and some posts on here I figured out that something wasn't right. At some point in the past when someone was "fixing" it they cut the wires to the traverse motor.(they also cut the wires to the coolant pump, and replaced the reverse button with a washer) I wired the motor back up and it's turning the shaft now, but the travers levers aren't doing anything. They don't even seem like they're trying to engage anything. Is there some clutch or something that needs to be tweaked or do I need to figure out how to tear the apron apart to see what's going on in there?

I didn't fully understand how the traverse was supposed to be working on my lathe until yesterday :P But rereading through the catalog and some posts on here I figured out that something wasn't right. At some point in the past when someone was "fixing" it they cut the wires to the traverse motor.(they also cut the wires to the coolant pump, and replaced the reverse button with a washer) I wired the motor back up and it's turning the shaft now, but the travers levers aren't doing anything. They don't even seem like they're trying to engage anything. Is there some clutch or something that needs to be tweaked or do I need to figure out how to tear the apron apart to see what's going on in there?

You may have already read this old thread from 2007. The OP gives some information in post #10. Hope it helps

On large engine lathes, how does rapid traverse work ?

Maybe something in here
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Thanks, i did see that thread but missed that part. I'll reread it and see if it leads me to having the rapids working :P at least the shaft is turning now so my apron oiler should be going now.

wouldn't it be nice if the 10EE had such a detailed parts diagram manual............

Haha, it would be nice if the Series 61 had a better manual too :P It vaguely mentions a set screw to adjust the clutch. But I have yet to find said screw.

Back