What's new
What's new

1957 model 61 variable speed drive motor

matt1

Aluminum
Anyone have or have seen a variable speed drive for a lathe this size. I have not seen one before.
F5884D6B-383F-4D8B-AF26-4CFC0B9C8B3B.jpgD221DFD2-F896-4730-9EC3-8766E6A44C35.jpg

So I got this brute home , got it leveled. Hooked up and started using it, it came from West Virginia University engineering school. I plucked it from the spot monarch leveled it in ‘57. Thing is very tight, no slack in anything, but the apron isn’t oiling 😒. So I tore into it and am now close to dropping the apron so I can access the lines and flow valves. Been reading older posts on the subject

I used a drive just like that to build a shock dyno in about '87 or so. what a brute! And as smooth as as a gravy sandwich as well. No noise in the data. They replaced it with the latest and the greatest a few years later, a VFD and gear motor. Nothing but trouble, so much noise in the data you could hardly see what the shock was doing.

It’s a 10 hp motor which is great.

When dropping the carriage, do the control rods have to be pulled all the way out or can they rest in place while it is dropped?

Lines look good, original scraping visible, need MJC 00 metering units for the carriage.

06038EE2-D729-409E-A97B-64FC8CC95560.jpg

Just got my quote from monarch for the metering units, just $700 no biggie...

Might have to pawn the old lady’s ring, at least these do have a function!!

Just a add on veri drive (snow mobile belt type)not the best drive but works. If it was in my shop it would be scrap and a new motor and vfd would be in there...Philo

Most likely any tork gain of the veri drive would be lost in the heating of the belt and pulleys, In the 60s the US motors viri drive was cutting edge, today not so much. Also the life of the belt and pulleys was short....Thermite, I know you dont like vfds, I do, there is plenty of gears on the type 61 so tork will never be a problem....Phil

I’m just running what I got. Plus without fail anyone coming through the shop asks what it is. No chance of it quitting on my watch!

Gearbox and carriage metering units $280 from Dewitt McCarter. (Daniel, at mccarter spent half the day converting my old numbers and gave me current numbers, and flow values) great job. If the parts that show up are right!
Same parts from monarch $600.

Don’t know why monarch wanted triple the price for the carriage fittings and the rest of the fittings were reasonably priced. Maybe cause they had them in stock?

Anyway still need to place an order with monarch for a apron gasket unless I can use rtv?

Matt1, yes you can use RTV for the sump gasket. The actual gasket is difficult to keep in place while installing it, it's rather narrow and easy to not stay in place..

I'll recommend using Permatex's 'Ultra Black' or Ultra-Gray gasket maker.. It is a MUCH better product than the average 'silicone' based RTV. Just wipe the bottom of the apron and the top of the sump's gasket surfaces with acetone or alcohol, to remove any residual oil. and apply a very thin layer of the Ultra-Black. Then assemble..

DualValve

Ok, so got in some of the metering units to r&r this oiling system. In case anyone needs it in the future, these are the original numbers and updated numbers

This lathe has rt

Carriage: MJC 00 B3364 still good number. Qty 8
Apron backside: MSA 00 to FSA 00 B1620. Qty 1
Apron top: MRA 0 to FRA 0 B3215. Qty 1
Apron behind front cover: don’t have yet. Qty 4
Gearbox: MJB 00 to FJB 00 B2494. Qty 8

Any trick to taking the bracket off behind the end gearing? Looks like it’s got to come off in order to get to several metering units.
59F968F7-57FD-4342-9EF9-D28E8D068997.jpg

She is back together, as in Saddle is on, metering units in, apron bolted up, control rods and lead screw in, gear on end of leadscrew bearing coupler was a bitch off and on. now I’m going to pull the apron cover, replace metering units there and in the gearbox,oh yeah r&r pumps in apron and gearbox. Thanks guys for your help I got the brunt of this job accomplished, I’m in the home stretch.

I’m still irritated my pictures won’t upload higher quality. It must be living in the boonies with poor internet service. Because I’m a computer genius! Lol jk

Back