What's new
What's new

1963 Monarch 10EE

Tobe1960

Plastic
Hi,

I just bought this lathe on an auction. When it was delivered I found that the original power components were replaced with (it looks like to me) an updated power supply. There is no tubes rack, anything in the cabinet. Please see attached pictures.
It looks like someone fork-lifted the lathe and bent the lower control rod. I was wondering if it is as simple as replacing it with a piece of barstock or there will be machining needed to replace it.
She's pretty rough but for $100 plus shipping, I didn't think I did too bad.

Thanks for any comments,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0226 (1).jpg
    IMG_0226 (1).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0227 (1).jpg
    IMG_0227 (1).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 210
I'd take it for $100, nice grab. I am not familiar with that particular machine's control shaft, but generally they are pretty easy to replicate. Usually only keyways and perhaps threads on them. You might even be able to straighten that one out to a functional level if you have a press and a little experience at straightening.

What size motor is on the lathe? From what I understand, it's good to upsize a bit if running from a VFD like that on a 10EE.

You need to post this on the Monarch forum, more detailed info there..

The bent rod is not a feed rod but rather the stop position rod for the "ELSR" that is fitted to your machine.
(ELSR: Electric Lead Screw Reverse)

Not required fro lathe operation, but part of a nice accessory if it is working...

Think that rod is just a plain steel rod....Has some features at each end i believe.....

Cheers Ross

Hi,

I just bought this lathe on an auction. When it was delivered I found that the original power components were replaced with (it looks like to me) an updated power supply. There is no tubes rack, anything in the cabinet. Please see attached pictures.
It looks like someone fork-lifted the lathe and bent the lower control rod. I was wondering if it is as simple as replacing it with a piece of barstock or there will be machining needed to replace it.
She's pretty rough but for $100 plus shipping, I didn't think I did too bad.

Thanks for any comments,
Dan

Can post threads with pix....but can't seem to find the proper forum.....:crazy:

You'll fit in real good around here with the squirrels....
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/

What county do you live in? I need to call the sheriff to report a crime. You stole it!

Is that a VFD in the last pic? I think so. See if you got a 3 phase spindle motor.

That shaft does not look too hard to repair.

What a deal.

Man thats a damn good deal.

That EMS drive looks like it might just be a rebadged Yaskawa drive. They seem to be pretty good drives from what Ive seen.

I'm sorry, I was thinking of my table saw. I bought the lathe on the auction and have only been home one long weekend to see it. I had a friend pick it up for me and put it in my shop. I have the original manual with me (out of town working still) and it just say's it's either a 3 or 5 HP motor. I have bought a 20HP phase converter to power the lathe and a Bridgeport mill when I find one. Thanks so much on the tip for the bent rod. And yes, I would have problems with cutting a key way.
I sure appreciate your knowledge and assistance! By the way, this lathe came from my company (Boeing Saint Louis)and I'm sure when they had problems with the old power unit our maintenance guy's converted it to the power panel in my previous post. I have friends that said the lathe ran great 6 months ago before they got their new one. It looks so crappy because it sat outside until I bought it.
Dan

My buddy that delivered the lathe to me took it off because he said it was "loose". He forgot to leave it at my shop when he delivered it.

I'm sorry, I was thinking of my table saw. I bought the lathe on the auction and have only been home one long weekend to see it. I had a friend pick it up for me and put it in my shop. I have the original manual with me (out of town working still) and it just say's it's either a 3 or 5 HP motor. I have bought a 20HP phase converter to power the lathe and a Bridgeport mill when I find one. Thanks so much on the tip for the bent rod. And yes, I would have problems with cutting a key way.
I sure appreciate your knowledge and assistance! By the way, this lathe came from my company (Boeing Saint Louis)and I'm sure when they had problems with the old power unit our maintenance guy's converted it to the power panel in my previous post. I have friends that said the lathe ran great 6 months ago before they got their new one. It looks so crappy because it sat outside until I bought it.
Dan

I got back in town and found that it has a 7.5 HP motor.

You can purchase already keywayed shafting from Thompson (via MMC et al) to replace the ELSR control rod. Not worth the hassle of cutting yer own keyway!

You HOPEFULLY have made an error reading the motor data plate?

Base casting sez it left Sidney as a "Module Drive" with Argon Thyratron DC Drive and a 5 HP Dee Cee motor - usually GE Kinematic or Louis-Allis.

WHEN... applied to variable-speed service? The 3-Phase AC motor needed to deliver "almost as good" performance as a 5 HP DC is a 7.5 HP minimum.

Hopefully a 7 1/2 HP, not 1 1/2 HP is what you have.

Not a show-stopper, regardless.

You can source either of:

- a larger VFD and new or used AC motor,

- a USED OEM "class" DC motor and DC drive to power it.

AC will be cheaper. As-in "cheap" not just "lower cost".

You don't even want to know what a NEW DC motor sells for!

I've tried to find the ELSR rod online with no luck. Would you have a link for the supplier?
And you were correct, the motor is 7.5HP.
Thanks!
Dan

Dan

What a deal on your lathe.
You might give Monarch a call and talk to Scott. Ask him if the have any used elsr rods for sale.

Hal

Back