What's new
What's new

1965 10EE acquisition and repair help

microflux

Plastic
Hello All just bought a 1965 10EE. From a nice gentleman who has been a machinist for LM for 30 years. Have it in my garage now. He says he put a 3HP motored with vfd in it. Haven’t looked to see if the original vac tube drive is in place. He had the DC motor out which I didn’t bring with me. I should have, but was too worried about my life driving 7000 pounds worth of machinery 500 miles ;)
I’m green at this.
The machine seems very clean.
The compound seems to have a lot of backlash. I was thinking why wouldn’t someone cut their own compound lead screw on this machine. After all a lathe is supposed to be able to build itself. I know it can be bought and so forth but this is about machining at home ....
I need to get into figuring out how to start with this machine
Thank everyone.
I have been reading your pages for years. My first post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No I’m pretty sure they have probably used it on the new motor. I have to open the panels see what’s going on.

Hello All just bought a 1965 10EE. From a nice gentleman who has been a machinist for LM for 30 years. Have it in my garage now. He says he put a 3HP motored with vfd in it. Haven’t looked to see if the original vac tube drive is in place. He had the DC motor out which I didn’t bring with me. I should have, but was too worried about my life driving 7000 pounds worth of machinery 500 miles ;)
I’m green at this.
The machine seems very clean.
The compound seems to have a lot of backlash. I was thinking why wouldn’t someone cut their own compound lead screw on this machine. After all a lathe is supposed to be able to build itself. I know it can be bought and so forth but this is about machining at home ....
I need to get into figuring out how to start with this machine
Thank everyone.
I have been reading your pages for years. My first post :)

Congratulations and good lucky learning with your new machine.

When people ask me what it's like to use I always say "If it turns out crappy work it won't be the machine's fault" :D

Back