Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1981 10ee Motor and gearbox FS / Question

I have a motor and gearbox in the parts forum FS.

Question: is anyone able to remember / help find / a thread where the builder used a gearbox with feet and the splined style drive combined with a j style motor for a vfd conversion? Seems like yesterday, but was probably 10 years ago. If memory serves, it was a long bed, maybe for sale in CA?

Just wanted to reference it for info.

Thanks!
    Jess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There used to be a really nice one at Account Suspended

but it was not for splined conversion, I see that account has been suspended. I believe I have photos from it...

3. Likes Jess10ee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess10ee View Post
    I have a motor and gearbox in the parts forum FS.

Question: is anyone able to remember / help find / a thread where the builder used a gearbox with feet and the splined style drive combined with a j style motor for a vfd conversion? Seems like yesterday, but was probably 10 years ago. If memory serves, it was a long bed, maybe for sale in CA?

Just wanted to reference it for info.
    Not worth worrying about. Original restorals need the right box, conversions, not so much. They've been done in a dozen ways already. Take it as "doable", regardless of which one starts with.

Either style of gearbox can be used for conversions, as a body is going to HAVE to make adaptations to mate-up, shaft, AND base, side, or - ISTR we even have seen one suspended from above - mounting.

Gearboxes are scarce AND necessary - for VFD most of all - is what matters most.

Unbroken HS-end lower covers are scarcer yet, but the 10EE runs fine without those. Tempting to rob a carbon-fibre SUITCASE half-shell for one of my 10EE...

5. Likes Jess10ee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Gearboxes are scarce AND necessary - for VFD most of all - is what matters most.
    I've never had any circumstances with my conversion needing a gearbox... spindle driven 3:1 ratio with a Gates Polychain... doesn't really matter what speed it's running at, there's no want for more torque...