What's new
What's new

40 Position QCTP

jfl4066

Plastic
Hi All,

I have a 1953 square dial 10EE:

I want to change from a AXA style to the Euro style 40 position quick change tool post. They list a series A for a 6-13" swing and a series E for a 10-18" swing. What size are some of you using? Thx.
40 POS QCTP.jpg

There was a thread last week on exactly that question. The correct size depends on the lathe compound to spindle center height.Those Multi-fix QCTP are very stiff, so sizing small is OK. Worst case is you may need a spacer under the splined hub. Sizing too large may mean that the tool holder may not adjust low enough to achieve tool center. Another consideration is the cost difference between an A size and an E size. The A size is much more common and significantly less expensive. The only down side of the A is the tool size cannot exceed 5/8 square, but that is not really a restriction for a 10 inch lathe anyway. I think you will be very happy with the A size.

I'm using size E, but with a 7.5 hp motor it was suggested by Pewee that I use the E to ensure the strength and rigidity needed. The A can also be used, but like mentioned above, you are limited to smeller tooling.

Thanks for everyone's reply!

Exactly what I was thinking about in either case. I did read PeWe info as well. For my non-production usage I may go with the A size. 5/8" tooling would do me just fine.

Does the set include a Tee nut and post/bolt for mounting or is that considered machine specific and make as needed?

Thanks for everyone's reply!

Exactly what I was thinking about in either case. I did read PeWe info as well. For my non-production usage I may go with the A size. 5/8" tooling would do me just fine.

Does the set include a Tee nut and post/bolt for mounting or is that considered machine specific and make as needed?

The post and T nut is not included. Abom has done a video on making one on YouTube, but you do not need them as complex as he did. I have been using this system for 40 years with just a T nut and post.

Back