What's new
What's new

53 10 ee stored (dry) for 1 year worked when put away. now spindle will not operate

Ron Boudreau

Plastic
I had to put my 10ee in storage for about 1.5 years, it was in a building and dry. the machine was running when stored . I have connected it back into the 240v 3 phase power and the AC motor driving the MG is operating but the spindle won't operate when I move the spindle forward /reverse lever. Can't see any thing broken, brushes look in good order Any suggestions?

Make sure that the motor/generator is turning the right way. It should be turning counter-clockwise, when viewed from the tailstock end.

Check the exciter voltage, terminals E1 to E2 at the bottom of the DC control panel (the big box next to the spindle motor). If the exciter isn't putting out voltage, nothing will work. If you have no exciter voltage, this thread should help: 10EE - No Exciter Voltage

Cal

If you have ELSR, make sure the selector knob on the right end of the machine is set to RH or LH and not in neutral.
Not sure about earlier machines, but Modular (1960s on) and later machines have several safety interlocks, including the spindle and front electronics compartment door.

I do have the ELSR and could not remember where it should be set when starting up. The 10 EE was in our mold making shop at the factory and I did not use it that much. I now have it at home and will be using it a lot more in the restoration shop (antique cars and wooden boats).

Thanks to all for helping me with my problem on the EE 10. The rotation of the MG was in the wrong direction. I switched the wires on the 220 V and it now turns in the correct direction and the spindle works

Back