What's new
What's new

5C collet closer - 10EE

bll230

Hot Rolled
I hit the jackpot and got a Jarno 12/5C adapter off ebay in really good shape, so I needed a 5C collet closer. I ordered 24 inches of DOM tubing and a 6 inch slice of aluminum from Speedy Metals. It turns out that 24 inches isn't quite long enough, 26 inches would be better. Just enough space for a machined end sleeve and thrust bearing. If if turns out that I can't grip well enough I'll make another, metal is cheap, but I'll see how this works for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0898 copy.jpg
    IMG_0898 copy.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0897 copy.jpg
    IMG_0897 copy.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0896 copy.jpg
    IMG_0896 copy.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 191
A very tight thermal fit, about 350 degrees worth, and then Loctite 290 wicked in while the aluminum was still hot and expanded. The 290 is so strong it will never let go.

There are some hazards with handwheel closers that are even more dangerous on a Monarch EE!
Keep in mind that, a person not familiar with the machine might accidently start the machine with the speed dial way up. If the handwheel closer is loose, or on a collet without work, the closer can back out and be flung at great force. Noting that the EE can reach 4000 rpms in 2 seconds from stop.
The other hazard is cheap collets, they are great for some things, but they can snap off at the thin portion ahead of the threads, the closer can get flung that way.
I roll a tool box in front of the closer in case that happens. It has never happened to me, but Royal discontinued the hand wheel type long ago because of issues.
The lever type is retained to the machine with a pin, but often a little more error then with a handwheel type.

Something to keep in mind. I have started my South Bend 9 many times with an unsecured 3C collet closer in it. Rattle, rattle, no big deal. I'll come up with a mental procedure to ensure the closer is never left in the machine when it is unscrewed.

Re Chinese collets, because of my RC helicopters being metric, from the beginning I have searched out good collets, and I am lucky enough to have:

complete Hardinge metric and American 3C
complete Hardinge and Royal South Bend metric and American 5C
and with the purchase of my formerly loser 10EE (now good 10EE) complete Hardinge metric and American 2J

Minor update today. I tried using the closer today and there was binding somewhere. The difference: the lathe wasn't running today and the spindle was cold. The 1 3/8 tubing is not precise, there is some banana shape to it, and the od is not perfectly circular. Today the difference in spindle temp was enough for the tube to rub somewhere.

I torched my Loctite and pressed the tube out, and cut down the entire tube to an OD of 1.365 similar to the threaded end in the picture above. Now with the slightly smaller OD it threads onto the collets smoothly.

Back