Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Adapter plate for black max motor

I see there is a bunch of black max motors on eBay. Has anyone done a cnc adapter plate? If I cnc one, it's easy to do a run of them. Anyone interested?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Chris,

If you have a schematic of what you want then have your local laser cut shop build it up with whatever software they use. Then just advertise it around and see if you get any bites. I get stuff laser cut all the time and once the plan is saved, you can get one done up at a moments notice. Don

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris, where are you? I have a Tormach.

John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Heychris_1 View Post
    I see there is a bunch of black max motors on eBay. Has anyone done a cnc adapter plate? If I cnc one, it's easy to do a run of them. Anyone interested?
    Prsesume you mean to adapt Black Max to the 10EE reduction gearbox?

ISTR code and/or drawings were furnished a while back in a PM thread, already?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am looking to adapt the backgear gearbox to the black max motor on ebay. I have access to a Haas CNC. I'm playing with the idea of cutting the splined shaft out the motor and adapting it to the shaft on the black max.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Heychris_1 View Post
    I am looking to adapt the backgear gearbox to the black max motor on ebay. I have access to a Haas CNC. I'm playing with the idea of cutting the splined shaft out the motor and adapting it to the shaft on the black max.
    Marathon Black Max . and a few Blue, may account for over half, maybe even over 2/3rds.. of all VFD'd conversions we have seen on PM. Economical motors and right-decent performance and durabilty. Slender buggers, too.

Not sure I could get my fat Reliance Duty-Masters even into the space, anyway!

Just about every way imaginable has showed-up on PM. They are just spread-out over gaps often a year or several years apart. Not all that many DC motors have gone missing.

Pretty sure what you describe has been done that same way, and more than once already. Either of shrink fit & Loctite - OR TiG. Shown before and after clean-up, shaft straightness considered, etc. . and posted with photos.

I THINK every one of them worked OK on the first go. Capable folk here, so they WOULD do.

I've never asked, but I think Sidney just orders their new AC motors with the splines already ON the shaft, same as their DC motors had been ordered.

It is one of the standard splines for the HP and shaft size involved.

Surely IF I were doing a conversion, I'd just use a motor that needed NO shaft work to JF fit the gearbox!

AC motors are dirt cheap even brand-new compared to the $11,000 to $12,000 price of a new DC motor nowadays.

"Standard-issue poverty" is the main reason to even DO a downgrade from DC, after all! Used DC motors can be had, but NEW ones cost the very Earth!

The mounting plate to adapt to the gearbox isn't that hard, either since most of the motors have a face-mount AND a foot-mount.

Deep-dive into PM... with Google, probably.. should find all that. HOPEFULLY.. not with the photos gone missing from the Photof**kit fiasco?

There may also be one where a new armature shaft was made and splines cut to match. It isn't actually that hard to do.

If you have the Haas? It's probably easier to go that way. New shaft. No welding.

Or order a splined shaft from Regal-Beloit. Or whomever else owns Marathon, any given year.

We made new armature shafts at Galis. But only when coal-mine downtime was critical because the motor-maker was badly back-ordered.

New ones from the OEM were MUCH cheaper than our making onesies on our old, general-purpose equipment. Not so hard with a Haas.

2CW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bll230 View Post
    Chris, where are you? I have a Tormach.

John
    I wouldn't go celebrating that too loud lol.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I wouldn't go celebrating that too loud lol.
    ROFL!

Like the pre-driver's-license age teenagers ... bragging and rating the merits of cars .. that they didn't yet know a lot about?

"I know a lot about Swedish-made cars!"

"My Mother drives a Vulva!"

Must have done. At least ONCE. You're HERE... and "driving" does sound nicer...